Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have somewhat of a problem, first let me explain my story.

i rebuilt my engine back in may...complete, engine was fully machined, the works. when i went to go and fill it up with coolant/water, i by mistake put dex-cool coolant in the car instead of the typical type of coolant.

now my engine was fully clean and im sure it accepted the dex cool coolant nicely, but the radiator and heater core im sure had a little bit of regular coolant in it. when dex cool mixes with regular coolant, the coolant becomes thick and gooey-ish. it basically turns to shit.

month ago i had my bad accident which forced me to get a new body (ended up being kirks car when he sold it for 700). my engine and tranny is in great shape, so i decided to throw my engine in the new body.

Well im sure the heater core in my new car has some regular coolant in it, and ive been running dex cool in my engine.

so i need to know what kind of coolant flushing stuff will completely take off the dex cool coolant so i can switch back to regular coolant and hook my hoses up to my heater core.

when i say flush, i mean total flushing this bitch.

thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There's lots of quality detergents that you can use to strip all of the old coolant out, we do this at my work every once and a while. Usually a detergent and some water should do it, but do a little internet research and you'll have a fast answer I'm sure.

Deep_Blue

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah jayson, youre my mentor in that field. U told me it was how to syphon (sp?)....little did i know u had other things in mind :rolleyes: :D

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
Here's a good tip for flushing the radiator that Rajunz clued me in on.

Unbolt the front of the thermostat housing, and remove the thermostat. Place your garden hose into the opening in the thermostat housing. Next undo the end of the lower radiator hose that connects to the radiator. Then turn the hose on about half way, and turn your car on with the heater on full blast @ 85 degrees. Let that go for about 5 minutes. By then the water coming out the bottom should be as clean and clear as it is straight out of the hose. Combining this with a radiator drain and flush will get all the old coolant out of your system.

Another good tip from Rajunz is to fill the cooling system with pure water, and dump in a small bottle of clorox bleach. Drive it around the block a few times, then redrain and reflush like I described above. The bleach does something to eat up the corriosion that has formed over time in the cooling jacket. This tip works great.

I flushed mine out with the garden hose for a long time, and the water was coming out nice and clean. I then did the bleach trick and reflushed it... the water came out all brown and nasty again for several minutes and then became clear again. I was half tempted to do the bleach a second time, but I had run out of bleach.

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
I bought a back flush kit for maybe $5-10 from Prestone at wally world along with some Rad cleaner (stronger than "flush"). With the kit, it allows you to install a connection for the garden hose so you don't have to take the housing off. Do the cleaner first, use the kit to flush it, and don't forget to burp. Fill with Toyota Red coolant/distilled water (so no more deposits) and your good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts