Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a closeup picture of this hose/fitting by chance? My machine shop called me today saying the fitting was so corroded that upon trying to remove it, the whole thing broke off :( I don't really have time to run down there right now but if someone could show me a picture of this area I could better determine what to do. He gave me 2 options; buy a new fitting from toyota and retap the hole (it had to be drilled out of the head) OR use a generic fitting and attach it to a new metal tube and run the tube to a more convenient location where I would then connect the coolant hose (this is what I'm leaning towards, I don't want to replace this infamously difficult to reach hose later down the road).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I need to spend some more time in these TSRM diagrams :) I just emailed my shop with the diagram and he'll get back to me on the part that broke... Any input on the idea of replacing that coolant hose with a metal tube? Is this commonly done?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Should work fine if you replace it with a metal hose.

Getting at this fitting isn't that tough - it's not that hard to take off the hose and get a big socket on there with the engine still in the car. Plenty of room for the socket wrench as well. I've done this several times an several Supras.

Whichever route you can take that will get you finished cheaper sounds like the route to take.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the entire motor (in its pieces) is at the machine shop, the reason this fitting broke was he needed to remove it for machining of the head and it broke at that time due to corrosion. With the metal tube idea I'm just looking at future longevity :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts