Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A minor coolant leak started on the LFT outlet located on the rear/pass side. I know its the heatercore In/Out lines. I have visually seen the leak. Coolant comes out when I blast the heater. The leak is not coming from the hoses connected. The leak is coming from inside the backing plate mounted around the heater core lines. There is no coolant within the car. I do get the coolant aroma coming from the vents. Pass. side window had fogged up for a bit.

Hopefully my explanation is understandble.

Question 1: Is this a sign of the heater core gone bad?
Question 2: I have capped the lines so I can drive the car to a mechanic if the heater core is bad. Is this ok to have the lines capped?

I have searched for this problem, but mostly everyone had a bad hose and not a leak from the back plate or just needed a flush.

Thanks in advance.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
1. Definitely sounds like the core fubered up. You also need to verify that the two metal hoses protruding out of the firewall are not bent in anyway (bent in an oval shape instead of a circle) which will cause the water to seem through from between the rubber and metal hoses.

2. Capping is not a problem, when the heater is not "on" inside the cabin, those lines are essentially closed shut.

Kruso

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll check into the protruding tubes to see if it is bent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts