Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to troubleshoot some overheating problems I have been having. I was just wondering if the coolant should be filled up to the neck of the radiator cap or to the top of the fins of the radiator? Everytime I open the cap after the car has been driven the coolant is right at the level of the fins, even after I fill it to the neck before the drive. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only goes down after the first drive to the top of the fins. After that, i can drive it all day and it won't go any lower so I don't think it's leaking. Where is everyone elses normal level in the radiator? fins or filler neck?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is you overflow bottle filled to the appropriate level?

Mine is always at the filler neck, also you may want to try putting the car on an upward slant, put a funnel into the filler neck, fill with coolant, start the car, and keep full while the water bubbles/burps (car needs to be warmed up to fully circulate the coolant throughout the entire motor. Before this check, and I mean REALLY check each hose to make sure you arn't leaking somewhere.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is you overflow bottle filled to the appropriate level?

Mine is always at the filler neck, also you may want to try putting the car on an upward slant, put a funnel into the filler neck, fill with coolant, start the car, and keep full while the water bubbles/burps (car needs to be warmed up to fully circulate the coolant throughout the entire motor. Before this check, and I mean REALLY check each hose to make sure you arn't leaking somewhere.
The overflow bottle is filled right to the F line meaning that it is in the right spot. I don't believe the car gas any air bubbles in the cooling system because it is not overheating and I have burped it in the past. I have also pressure tested it and the cooling system is holding pressure. What could cause the level in the radiator to drop and stay there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts