Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it help power to just bypass the tb with the coolant lines that go through it. it seems like it would help cool the air. I would just hook them togethor with a connector.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
1,020 Posts
Yes you can do that, just remember that it is there to prevent the throttle plate from freezing shut/sticking on cold days, and to assist with warming the incoming air during cold-start up (fuel atomizes better at warmer temperatures and reduces start up HC emissions.) However once the motor is warm, it isn't really needed. Many people do this with various car models.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
1,020 Posts
Also, for what it's worth, I have yet to hear of someone's throttle blade getting stuck due to frozen moisture, but the manufacturers claim it can happen. If it does, just stomp the accelerator pedal and that should solve the sticking blade ;)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
house_of_senate said:
But is there any real gains from this?

you will probably gain about .001hp But in the end the hot engine coolant won't be heating up the intake charge your intercooler worked so hard to cool :)

I got rid of the barb fitting coming out of the head, tapped the hole wit 1/8"npt and plugged it. Then hit the other port with some brazing and no chance of a line leaking :ugh2:

Mike

·
Registered
382 Posts
I first did this mod to my Buick GN years ago, and also did it to my Supra just because I didn't want hot coolant flowing through my throttle body.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I've bypassed both the throttle body and IAC coolant lines. Never had a problem with either sticking in even 10 degree weather.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
mainly its an benefit for NA guys needing to change their plugs. You always drip some coolant down into the plug valley area when trying to swap the plugs when removing the throttle body. Not to mention when the line breaks, and shoots coolant all into the plug area while ur driving and causes major misfiring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts