Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been hearing the waterfall behind the dash whenever I start the car, and today, i saw some coolant dripping, so I pop the hood, and my overflow bottle is completely filled. Im guessing the dripping was coming from the overflowed bottle, but what is causing this?

·
Registered
520 Posts
hoser813 said:
Lately I have been hearing the waterfall behind the dash whenever I start the car, and today, i saw some coolant dripping, so I pop the hood, and my overflow bottle is completely filled. Im guessing the dripping was coming from the overflowed bottle, but what is causing this?
sounds like it is probably a bhg. causes you to kick back coolant through the overflow when the coolant and oil and combustion gases all mix

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
almost positive its not bhg, since it just got replaced not 6 months ago, and havent ran it hard since... and Im not seeing any other symptoms. So a bad rad cap could be letting some air in to the system?

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
I had a bad radiator cap that was causing me to over flow my bottle as well. check out your cap, if its all fawked up then thats probably it.

~scott

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
i would also try to bleed the system also..get all the air out of the car...maybe you got a lot of air in the system..and change that cap also

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
First, I'd bleed the system of all current air by running it with the rad. cap off, the heater set at 85 (water valve open) and the front of the car elevated. Add coolant as all the current air is expelled.
Once that's done and the engine is fully warmed with rad. cap still off, pull on the throttle cable and watch for any bubbles rising in the radiator when you juice it. If so, you know what that means. Also, if you burp it and the coolant keeps getting expelled into the overflow bottle and the rad. is not staying full when checked COLD and you get the "waterfall" sound when you start up from a stop with heater on, you've unfortunately got the symptoms of a BHG.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, I put a new cap on, but Im still getting the overflow. Also, when I turn the car off after driving for a while, I can see bubbles coming up the overflow. What else can I replace before I decide its bhg? Can a faulty thermostat cause something like this?

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, well I got a new thermo in, and its still fucking up. I burped it but to no avail. Today I drove to and from work (about 30 min drive) and on the highway the temp gauge was jumping all around but never got into the red or near it. When I got home, the overflow was full and the coolant was boiling. It doesnt bubble or anything when its cold and theres no white smoke or coolant in the oil, so BHG is out (thank God). Whats next? Can a bad clutch fan make me overheat? What about some Water Wetter to keep the coolant temps down?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts