Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i just wanted to ask if anyone with the 2JZ-GE motor has gotten the electric cooling fans. That is my next mod along with the Underdrive Pulley i have on order. Does anyone know if the ones for the Twin Turbos fit our cars as well because im pretty sure we have a smaller radiator because of the different radiator hose.
Thanks

·
0 Posts
I've always wondered: what's the point of having electric cooling fans? Does it improve performance in any way? I've read that they just lead to overheating problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cooling fans add power just like underdrive pulleys do. They take out the BIG FAN running off your engine belt. By doing this it eliminates 10 pounds of rotating mass and gives you more horsepower.
Later

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
I think the gain from the loss of rotating mass is probably nearly wiped out by the increased load on your alternator and therefore a more difficult to turn pulley. Those things run ridiculously high amperage...

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I have the Flex-a-lite M210 (the fans used on the TT) and they fit fine on the n/a. The have worked great for me, even with a fmic.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Frankenstein, the M210 kit comes with a adjustable thermostat. The fans only run when you are at a standstill.... once moving they rarely run.

Y

·
0 Posts
I put a 210 on last spring, and they are great. I still want to get a fan thermostat that uses one of the take-offs on the the car's thermostat housing however. Yea, they only come on when the water temp gets to the value you dial into the control box. I wired mine to come on with the AC switch too.

I think the drain on the alternator is pretty much constant at any given RPM. They have a built-in voltage regulator and rectifier that limits the output to demand, irrespective of the current actually produced. (You can exceed maximum with enough devices turned on, and 24 volt systems are in our car's future.) You could "see" this in operation in the generator days with separate voltage regulators, ziener diodes, etc.

I put a "improved" 210 installation on supras.com tech-tips, that is non-intrusive to the radiator fins.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys thanks for the replies but just outta curiousity where did you get your fans from? Are the fans you are running the same ones that they sell at MVPmotorsports.com if so i will probably go ahead and order them from them now i emailed em and asked if they would work but they havent responded yet. I dont really expect them too though its still the holidays. But if any of you guys know if they are the same ones i will probably go ahead and order them. Also Dave or Yonaga did you notice a significant gain in power from the loss of rotating mass. Atleast on the NA version i would imagine with a big turbo its harder to tell. Anyway Thanks for the replies.
Later

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I got mine fans from Jegs, but that was back before MVP or anyone else carried them. Might as well get it from MVP since he supports/run this board. :D

I put the fans on during my turbo kit install, so I don't have a good feel for the hp they freed up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts