Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Group,
I have a 95TT 6 speed, with FMIC. After reading some excellent threads on this board, mostly in this forum, here are the cooling modifications I ended up performing this weekend:

Permacool PRM-1009 oil cooler with -6AN fittings and lines.
The cooler is installed in the driver's side brake duct.
Royal Purple Dexron III ATF.

SPAL 11" Puller on the A/C Condensor (I had an extra one lying around from my MR2 Turbo)

The fan has constant 12VDC, and has ground switched to it by an automotive relay. The relay is activated by switching ground to it from a toggle switch, located on the aftermarket panel over the FMIC. I plan to switch on the fan only on track days, and leave it on the entire time I'm out lapping.

I already installed a Fluidyne radiator, last fall, when my OEM radiator cracked one of the plastic end tanks, just below the filler neck.

I am running 1 bottle of Water Wetter, 2 quarts of Toyota Red long life coolant, and the system is filled the rest of the way with distilled water.

I also removed the rubber seal at the back edge of the hood.

Aside from an oil cooler, I think I have everything needed to attend a track day. I'm not convinced of the need for an oil cooler, particularly since I live in the Pacific Northwest, and it seldom exceeds 85F here, even in the dead of Summer.

Here's a picture of the power steering cooler:

Thanks for looking,

Ken

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably. My car seldom gets driven in the rain anymore, and is garaged every night. Also, I wash the engine bay with Griot's engine cleaner/degreaser, then hose it off with tap water. That's a lot more likely to cause problems than rain.

·
Registered
934 Posts
VERY nice :)

and yeah my supra is parked in my driveway but not in the garage usually. i wanna remove that damn rubber lining but guess its gotta stay :(

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Nice. :)

Going to come out on July 3 at Pacific Raceways? I'll be happy to demonstrate the line there if you'd like...
-Chris

·
Registered
414 Posts
Has anyone installed a coolant swirl pot on their car?

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on insight on this, as I quote "They maintain a better and more constant flow of coolant through the radiator.".

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quick said:
Nice. :)

Going to come out on July 3 at Pacific Raceways? I'll be happy to demonstrate the line there if you'd like...
-Chris

I'll be up in Abbotsford, visiting with friends, along with my family, which, unfortunately, means the Supra will be sitting home in the garage.

My daughter is 6 months old, and rearward facing child seats won't fit in the back seat of the Supra.

There is a Sport Compact Challenge at Woodburn Dragstrip next Saturday. I'll be there, with a couple of other people from the local Supra group down here.

Gates open at 9am.

Ken

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
KBlake said:
Gates open at 9am.
Ken - Have a great time in Abbotsford! I just mentioned July since your car is setup for road racing and I'll have the Supra at PR for a road course event with a lot of other Japanese auto enthusiasts.

Unfortunately most of the Supra owners are intermittent (if that) road course attendees. The only folks with Supras that I know that go even remotely often are myself, Stu, and Mark. You're always welcome to join in if you so desire -- just PM me and I'll keep you in the loop. I'm trying to go 2x each month if work permits.

As for Woodburn and drag racing -- thanks for the offer. :) I have plans for next weekend, plus drag racing's not really my thing.

Maybe I'll see you out there. :bigthumb:
-Chris

·
Old School
4,111 Posts
I've heard for years that the area at the base of the windshield is an area of high pressure (thus the cowl induction hoods used on various muscle cars).

Removing the rubber seal, if it does anything, may allow high pressure outside air into the engine bay.

Is your thinking that hot underhood air would be drawn out through the opening created by removing the seal?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Ken,

The car is looking very good! The seal removal idea, and even shimming the rear of the hood higher, are ideas that have been around a long time to evacuate hot air. Unless it's already been done, I'd want to test the theory by attaching some ribbons or something to see which way the air actually flows and to get a sense of how much. I imagine temps aren't too bad while the car is lapping and air is being forced through the engine bay, but lifting the hood when you pit should be a given.

Bruce

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quick said:
Ken - Have a great time in Abbotsford! I just mentioned July since your car is setup for road racing and I'll have the Supra at PR for a road course event with a lot of other Japanese auto enthusiasts.
Hi Chris,
I appreciate the offer, and it is my goal to road race the car. I still have to buy some road race tires (heat cycled Victoracers on stock wheels) before I can attend an event.

quick said:
Unfortunately most of the Supra owners are intermittent (if that) road course attendees. The only folks with Supras that I know that go even remotely often are myself, Stu, and Mark. You're always welcome to join in if you so desire -- just PM me and I'll keep you in the loop. I'm trying to go 2x each month if work permits.
I would appreciate being kept in the loop. Brian Robards of RRev Motorsports has his car setup for road course, and plans to attend as many events as possible too.

I don't think my schedule would permit the kind of racing you are planning on, at least not this season, but I would definitely like to make it out to at least two events, and get my feet wet.

quick said:
As for Woodburn and drag racing -- thanks for the offer. :) I have plans for next weekend, plus drag racing's not really my thing.

Maybe I'll see you out there. :bigthumb:
-Chris
No sweat. I like both drag racing and hot lapping. Drag racing is every Friday and Saturday night here, so it's a good, cheap way to get an adrenaline fix in between road course events ;)

Ken

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lagtime said:
I've heard for years that the area at the base of the windshield is an area of high pressure (thus the cowl induction hoods used on various muscle cars).

Removing the rubber seal, if it does anything, may allow high pressure outside air into the engine bay.

Is your thinking that hot underhood air would be drawn out through the opening created by removing the seal?
That was my hope, and what I was led to believe, from the reading I did on here before starting out.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bruce Hadfield said:
Hi Ken,

The car is looking very good! The seal removal idea, and even shimming the rear of the hood higher, are ideas that have been around a long time to evacuate hot air. Unless it's already been done, I'd want to test the theory by attaching some ribbons or something to see which way the air actually flows and to get a sense of how much. I imagine temps aren't too bad while the car is lapping and air is being forced through the engine bay, but lifting the hood when you pit should be a given.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
Thank you! Yes, I know they've been around, I've read the sticky on cooling mods, and the associated links within, which is where I got the idea. I guess I will tape some ribbons to the trailing edge of the hood, and see how they behave.

The nice thing about this mod, is that it's completely reversible. The strip is held on with plastic body fasteners, and was not damaged in the removal process.

Long term plans for the car include a TRD hood, which I believe will help greatly with evacuating the warm air that has just come through the FMIC, A/C condensor, and radiator. It's just not in the budget at the moment.

Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts