Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,
I was driving home friday night from work, and my car starts smoking under the hood where the coolant tank is. I'm not too worried, since the cap is cracked and what not, so I pull over into a gas station, check it out, and the cap cracked again, so it's cracked in two spots. The water was pretty much boiling though....(It's pretty much all water, a coolant hose came loose a couple days after I got the car back after a engine swap, and hadn't flushed and refilled it with coolant yet, and it's been periodically losing some coolant, so I've been refilling it with water.) So I tape it up temoparily to keep the cracks closed and shit.
Go to pull a part today and get a new one I found off some volvo or something, it fits fine and everything.
So I put it on, the coolant tank is about half full. Go home, car dies 3 times along the way, and the 3rd, it won't restart, as I'm sitting in the left hand lane to turn left into arco to get some oil since I had about half full. So, luckily I'm talking to heff on the phone, he comes and helps me AGAIN. Seriously, I would've hugged him, but he was really dirty. he put in new shocks. anyways, we get it off into a parking lot with the help of a random black guy who apparently likes supras, and pop the hood, NOTHING IN THE COOLANT TANK. Completely empty. it took about 15 minutes to get to arco and I waited probably another 15 waiting for heff. So. I put some water in it, and it starts. We go to heff's, wash the car, I go to leave for work, the water is all gone AGAIN. Fill it up, and go to work, again after work, water is gone. No apparent spots where it had been leaking out of onto the ground. Get home tonight from work, check it, has water in it(I filled it up before leaving work), let it sit for awhile, while checking to see if it's leaking, and it's not. Go back out after about 30 minutes, water is gone, no leaks on the ground.
Also, checked the top radiator hose, cool enough to touch, got a new thermostat.
Also, cleared the radiator of any air bubbles yesterday.
Please tell me it's not BHG.....

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
why would you use a volvo radiator cap? Buy one that is designed for the toyota radiator. I bet this is a major problem. Do things right, then start diagnosing your problem

edit: also, if you were driving around with your oil half full, i suspect you may have some bigger problems than just your cooling system.

·
Or Am I?
169 Posts
why did you start another thread that was exact as the other thread? BTW, sounds like your MKIII is about to die a terrible death. =\. Take better care of the Supra... PLEASE.

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TheOneAndOnlyDrone said:
why did you start another thread that was exact as the other thread? BTW, sounds like your MKIII is about to die a terrible death. =\. Take better care of the Supra... PLEASE.
Are you talking about my thread in the northwest section????????
And thank you for the encouraging words and all the help
I've been taking care of it just fine.

·
MKIII Owner and Dam proud
367 Posts
Have you checked to make sure you didn't get the big BHG? Watch you exhaust also I had problem with my thermostat sticking even with new ones. Try pulling it out and see if that helps.

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replaced the thermo today, and the top radiator hose is getting hot now, vaccum is happening in the radiator/coolant.
Friend who came over and helped me out had taken off the radiator cap about 5 minutes after we took it for a test drive after we put it in :rofl: coolant went flying, so we washed it off and water got on the motor, and I think it was causing some put putting in the exhaust, because I went to leave after that, and it started put putting and puffin out white smoke, so I took my dad car out to dinner, and started the supra up when I got home, took it for a drive, and it's fine.
Going to take the car to my buddy who does the work on it tomorrow to get it checked for BHG...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts