Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my car corner balanced the other day. The difference is pretty substantial. I also had the alignment done and used lance's specs from MKIV.com. Very nice setup! Car is perfectly balanced through the corners. The numbers at the end are as follows:
LF:950, RF:880, LR:810, RR:806. This was using a 120 lbs. weight on the driver's seat. Total vehicle weight excluding the 120 lbs. weight is 3326lbs. which is pretty light relatively. The front to rear weight ratio was not within my expected range. It came out at 53.1% front and 46.9% rear. The distance from the ground to the fender lip are as follows. LF:25 15/16", RF: 26 1/4", LR: 26 1/8", RR: 26 3/16". I'm using 19" rims, JIC FLT A2s, TRD sway bars, TRD strut brace and a Do-Luck rear cross bar. Sweet setup!

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Nice, good luck with it on the track.

I remember the first time I hit the track after a corner balance and good street/track alignment I couldn't believe how great it felt.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
lol

thats relatively light? compared to what?

what were the corner wieghts before it was balanced?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick 95 6sp said:
Nice, good luck with it on the track.

I remember the first time I hit the track after a corner balance and good street/track alignment I couldn't believe how great it felt.
thanks! Can't wait to put her on the track now. I was amazed at the difference it makes.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
turbomx5 said:
lol

what were the corner wieghts before it was balanced?
it's relatively light compare to a 3550 lbs. stock supra. it's not that easy to shave 200 lbs. off these cars while keeping it stock looking.

i don't have the figures with me, but I recall the front, left to right, was off by about 114 lbs which is now reduced to 70 lbs. and the rear was off by about 22 lbs. which is now 4 lbs. difference. That was with the 120 lbs. on the driver's seat.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quick said:
You weigh 120 lbs? Whoa.

Congrats! :)
not exactly. :) i prefer to balance leaner that way if I have a passenger with me the car won't be thrown off as much. It's finding a happy medium.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
quick said:
You weigh 120 lbs? Whoa.

Congrats! :)
Not all racecar drivers are fat men, this cutey only weighs 100lbs!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nick 95 6sp said:
Not all racecar drivers are fat men, this cutey only weighs 100lbs!!!

who said anything about fat men? i happen to weigh 185 and 6 ft. tall. :) i'm a little slow on the uptake. gotcha!

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I just took poetic license on that comment to emphasis my point ;) ....I'm about your size too, this morning I was 188lb. but since my muscles aren't what they used to be, I should drop about 15lbs or build muscle mass so I can lift Danica with one hand.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nick 95 6sp said:
I just took poetic license on that comment to emphasis my point ;) ....I'm about your size too, this morning I was 188lb. but since my muscles aren't what they used to be, I should drop about 15lbs or build muscle mass so I can lift Danica with one hand.
i had a brain fart. she's a cutie!! i'd let her ride as my passenger.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Swede909 said:
i had a brain fart. she's a cutie!! i'd let her ride as my passenger.

haha. I think you'd better sit on the passenger side if she was in the car...

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I hope she does real good tomorrow ....which she will since they corner weigh her racecar, of course ...just staying "on topic"

my favorite palindrome: "racecar" and backwards it's "racecar"

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,570 Posts
Swede909 said:
it's relatively light compare to a 3550 lbs. stock supra. it's not that easy to shave 200 lbs. off these cars while keeping it stock looking.

i don't have the figures with me, but I recall the front, left to right, was off by about 114 lbs which is now reduced to 70 lbs. and the rear was off by about 22 lbs. which is now 4 lbs. difference. That was with the 120 lbs. on the driver's seat.
You make it sound like you were trying to equal the rear left to right, and the front left to right.
Shouldnt the diagonal weights be close to equal or have I been doing it wrong?

LF 950 RF 880
\ /

LF-RR=1756 RF-LR=1690

/ \
LR 810 RR 806

THink of it as a chair with uneven legs diagonally. Your LF-RR legs are longer than your RF-LR legs. That makes for a pretty unstable platform.
Who did your corner balancing?

·
Old School
4,116 Posts
^ What Brian posted above is also the way I've always understood cornerweighting to work, namely, you try and get LF + RR to weight as close as possible to RF + LR.

I don't have my numbers in front of me, but that's how my car was done.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
brian94ht said:
You make it sound like you were trying to equal the rear left to right, and the front left to right.
Shouldnt the diagonal weights be close to equal or have I been doing it wrong?

LF 950 RF 880
\ /

LF-RR=1756 RF-LR=1690

/ \
LR 810 RR 806

THink of it as a chair with uneven legs diagonally. Your LF-RR legs are longer than your RF-LR legs. That makes for a pretty unstable platform.
Who did your corner balancing?
That is the way I see it as well. The car use to be 1786:1657. We brought it as close as we could without changing the distance too much from the ground to the fender lip on all four corners. I know it's not perfect. My front right is already sitting just over a 1/4" higher than the left side. We lowered the FL and RR which made enough difference for me to be satisfied. If all I did was race this car I would'nt care so much about esthetics, but since the car spends most of its time on the streets I found a happy balance.

Too bad cars aren't perfectly straight. The shop I went to specializes in Porsche and they states even Porsche's are uneven after corner balance. I wouldn't mind seeing your numbers and anyone else who may have them available. Just curious.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Swede909 said:

i can see how this was misinterpreted. i guess my thoughts didn't exactly come out on paper very well.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
turbomx5 said:
lol

Compared to my mk3 :rofl:

I've heard corner balancing is a great improvement, did you find a shop or just someone with a set of scales?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
In my case my buddy had a set of scales and we did it ourselves a few weeks after my new coilovers settled in.

·
OCC
897 Posts
Swede909,

What battery do you have in your car? Is it mounted in the stock location?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts