Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I notice that in 5th gear at 65mph I am at about 3000rpm and at 70mph I am at 3500rpms. Is it normal for N/A's to be running high like that? If anyone knows what might be causing this please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
George

·
DaveH disciple
368 Posts
SealSupra-6 said:
Hey guys, I notice that in 5th gear at 65mph I am at about 3000rpm and at 70mph I am at 3500rpms. Is it normal for N/A's to be running high like that? If anyone knows what might be causing this please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
George
Yep dude ! Mine doing the same RPM than your... That's normal !!!
JB

·
11,221 Posts
Yea it's normal. I guess Toyota gave NA's such high gear because it accelerates quicker (given its puny power).

-------

Anyways, I jacked up my rear today and did a run in 5th gear (man was I scared the jacks would fall), and I only did up to like 150mph almost near redline. My engine was rattling like crazy and I was scared I would run right into the garage.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Yea it's normal. I guess Toyota gave NA's such high gear because it accelerates quicker (given its puny power).

-------

Anyways, I jacked up my rear today and did a run in 5th gear (man was I scared the jacks would fall), and I only did up to like 150mph almost near redline. My engine was rattling like crazy and I was scared I would run right into the garage.
you are FUCKING INSANE

·
NA-T Member
1,021 Posts
michaelvanle said:

-------

DUDE!!!! ARE YOU FOCKING CRAZY OR SOMETHING?!?!?!

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, I am scared for you. You know what that would look like, a supra flying through a house at 150!!! What were you doing?

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
michaelvanle said:

-------

Thanks for proving Darwin's theory of Natural Selection :bigok:

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
michaelvanle said:

-------

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are nuts haha good way to figure it out though I suppose? wouldnt a dyno have been easier..

·
Registered
479 Posts
i dont think that would be accurate top speed is it.. theres no friction or resistance so shouldnt it be lower than that number.. and take longer to get there

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
The top speed is gear limited not power limited. So it doesn't matter if it is on a dyno, street, or in your garage (stupid as shit). Your going to get the same top speed when you redline in 5th.

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
SupraDupra_17 said:
Well, you gotta get rid of the kit somehow...

j/k man :D
:wtflol: :wtflol: :bigthumb:

michelvanle: dont do that again man honestly im worried now :freak:

if you HAVE TO, go do it in a open lot :stickpoke :bigthumb:

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
btw i love the high gearing. if we had normal TT gearing and had the same power...

also the gearing makes riding in an na-t 5 spd crzy.

·
Registered
495 Posts
michaelvanle said:

-------

:wtflol:

Was the garage closed and the fumes getting in your head??? :stickpoke

This has to be one of the dumbest things I have EVER read in my whole life...I'm serious too :freak:

·
11,221 Posts
TurboXpress said:
This has to be one of the dumbest things I have EVER read in my whole life...I'm serious too :freak:

Yea, lol. My car was rattling cause a few bolts were loose. I kept hearing it while driving but can never pinpoint to what it was. I finally decided to jack up the car and run it in the air. I pinpointed it down the the driveshalf. So I figured while I was at it, I'll try 5th gear mph/rpm.

I know it wasn't the safest thing. IIRC I wasn't the first one to do this, lol. I'll ask them if I can do a top gear pull next time I'm at the dyno.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts