Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The official unveiling is set for this Saturday, April 28 at the C5/C6 Bash at the National Corvette Museum in BowlingGreen, but thanks to a poster at Digital Corvettes, you can get sneak preview of the 2008 Corvette and its LS3 V8 right now. The new mill is expected to pump out 430 horsepower, and the '08 Vette will also sport new 5-spoke wheels and interior tweaks, among other things. We'll have to wait until the weekend for the full dog & pony show to go down, but one thing's certain: the presence of 430 standard horsepower will only further cement the Corvette's standing as an unbelievable performance value. Production of the LS3-powered Vettes is scheduled to start this week.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm actually excited about this. I hope they surprise us and that LS3 pumps out 450 hp!

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
You and me both. The C6 is already the best bang for the buck in the sports car market hands down and it just keeps getting to be a better and better bang for the buck.

I'm actually excited about this. I hope they surprise us and that LS3 pumps out 450 hp!

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
You and me both. The C6 is already the best bang for the buck in the sports car market hands down and it just keeps getting to be a better and better bang for the buck.
Yup. The C6 is an awesome deal. To be honest, there's not much about it I don't like. I'd probably buy one if I had the money.

·
You serious?
3,000 Posts
Yup. The C6 is an awesome deal. To be honest, there's not much about it I don't like. I'd probably buy one if I had the money.
:werd:

I got my first ride in the new C6Z and it was bone stock. I was VERY impressed with the way that thing pulled instantly and kept on pulling. The thing is :nuts: to say the least.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Did they keep the displacement the same? What did they change? Cam? Heads? Basically is there anything that makes this engine better than the LS2?

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
..Basically is there anything that makes this engine better than the LS2?

Hopefully they made it so that driving over 3000 RPM isn't considered "aggressive driving" LOL. Its supposedly to be around 6.2 to 6.3 liters and around 420-430 hp, but I've heard as high as 450 quoted. It may pick up cylinder deactivation for better gas mileage. That's be a rumored LS3 item for awhile now.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
I don't think you can say that. I would say the mustang gt500 is a better car than the standard c6 and for the price it's alot better than the new z06 in my opinion.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
If it didn't weigh nearly 4000 pounds (making it much slower than the Z06 and about even with the C6) and have a solid rear axle I might agree.

Even at 3500 pounds the GT500 would be awesome, but the extra weight slows that car down big time.

I don't think you can say that. I would say the mustang gt500 is a better car than the standard c6 and for the price it's alot better than the new z06 in my opinion.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
If it didn't weigh nearly 4000 pounds (making it much slower than the Z06 and about even with the C6) and have a solid rear axle I might agree.

Even at 3500 pounds the GT500 would be awesome, but the extra weight slows that car down big time.

but being supercharged it's got alot more room for improvement. I'm not doubting the new z06 is faster ( because it is from what I've heard ) but it wouldn't take much $$ to make the gt500 faster.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think your crazy, but you have your opinion. I'm a huge mustang fan - always have been. But the C6 Corvette is the Best Sports Car out there for the money hands down. And now even more with this new LS3. When you start putting down big horsepower numbers and going fast, you start to appreciate Braking and Handling. The Corvette has the complete package.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I agree with begone and T66, the Corvette is a better overall package. Sure the GT500 can be made fast, but only in a straight line. The C6 can be fun at the strip, the track, or at an Auto-x. The GT500 is incredibly obese by sports car standards.

·
Administrator
17,271 Posts
We'll finally find out for sure if the new Z51 package will include the Z06 exhaust, as the rumor has been out for a while that it will. Base model to have 420 hp and Z51 model to have 430? Not long to wait for confirmation now.

It's killing resale value on 2007 models still on lots, and people who have orders placed for late model 2007 models are trying to cancel their orders to get 08s...as I would be wanting to do as well. The big difference is actually the transmission, which is a Tremec 6060 (I think) and is supposed to be a lot better than the older T56 unit. I think at least one of the Mustang variants (possibly GT500) already uses the T-6060 transmission.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I agree with begone and T66, the Corvette is a better overall package. Sure the GT500 can be made fast, but only in a straight line. The C6 can be fun at the strip, the track, or at an Auto-x. The GT500 is incredibly obese by sports car standards.
Auhhh! Look at us all getting along now and agreeing on something.... :love:

We'll finally find out for sure if the new Z51 package will include the Z06 exhaust, as the rumor has been out for a while that it will. Base model to have 420 hp and Z51 model to have 430?
Never heard about the rumor on the ZO6 exhaust - that thing not only sounds sweet, but will be a great option for the Z51. Interesting.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
I think your crazy, but you have your opinion. I'm a huge mustang fan - always have been. But the C6 Corvette is the Best Sports Car out there for the money hands down. And now even more with this new LS3. When you start putting down big horsepower numbers and going fast, you start to appreciate Braking and Handling. The Corvette has the complete package.
I personally don't like either car honestly. If someone offered both of them too me I would take the vette for sure. But If I was buying one $30 is a big difference in price. If I was going to spend $80k on something it wouldn't be a vette.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
^^ Yeah, yeah, that's because Corvette is not that rare and hard to get as Aston Martin or Porsche..or whatever it would be, so that people would go, O look at that special car!!!

Point is, It's a Corvette and it's great performance for price and it looks very good also. Bet if you were raised and lived somewhere in Europe you would want 1 pretty bad.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
^^ Yeah, yeah, that's because Corvette is not that rare and hard to get as Aston Martin or Porsche..or whatever it would be, so that people would go, O look at that special car!!!

Point is, It's a Corvette and it's great performance for price and it looks very good also. Bet if you were raised and lived somewhere in Europe you would want 1 pretty bad.
Ya that's what I've heard people in europe love american cars. For 80k I would want something that stands out a bit more. How much is a new viper

1 - 20 of 48 Posts