Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the cost for a nice paint job would be if I wanted to change the color?

No pearl or clear coats or anything fancy, just changing the color to a different factory color.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
MarcSMT said:
Just wondering what the cost for a nice paint job would be if I wanted to change the color?

No pearl or clear coats or anything fancy, just changing the color to a different factory color.

No clearcoat? Just color? Clearcoat isn't fancy....you need it :) Unless you have a urethane enamel sprayed on the car...or is that also too fancy? :p

When you paint a car (with basecoat), you need to clearcoat the color. You'll need to find other places to save money.

Prices will vary, especially when a color change is involved....all shops have different ideas of what they'll want to charge (also depends a little on the labor rate of your State - this can vary between $2-4 per paint labor hour, sometimes more is possible).

You should first decide what your price limit is, then figure out what you'll have done and shop around. Paint work is crazy....some guys will even spend a lot of money and still get f*cked on quality :( :mad:

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Maaco will help you with that.only $199 ,$25 per door jamb,$45 for under hood and trunk extra when colorchanging. 6 month warranty!!!
I hope you're not trying to do that to MKIV,but 85 Buick.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
exvelocity said:
Maaco will help you with that.only $199 ,$25 per door jamb,$45 for under hood and trunk extra when colorchanging. 6 month warranty!!!
I hope you're not trying to do that to MKIV,but 85 Buick.

What if it's a Grand National??? :eek:

Okay, okay.......I'm bored. :D

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
expect to pay 3500 5500 to get an extremly nice paint job. ANd you want lots of clear coat

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
insurance company spent 6200 dollars repainting and fixing my car after hail damage... and the paintjob looks kinda shitty...

it just goes to show, find a reputable place, and ask em how much it will cost... just do lots of research, alot of crooks out there

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
supra557hp said:
expect to pay 3500 5500 to get an extremly nice paint job. ANd you want lots of clear coat

Well, too much of a good thing is too much.......you don't want gobs of paint on a car, resulting in ridiculous thickness. For a great shine ---> get a GOOD paint job with 3 coats clear, and have a truely killer sand-and-polish done to it.......or, have 3 coats clear sprayed, sand smooth (cut about 1.5 coats off), and then have it recleared with another 2 (maybe 3) coats, and then sand and polish the piss outta that :)

Don't want 5-10 coats of clear all on the same, single paint job. Besides runs and easy chipping, the painter could experience solvent pop ----> causing a repaint :eek:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Verge said:
insurance company spent 6200 dollars repainting and fixing my car after hail damage... and the paintjob looks kinda shitty...

it just goes to show, find a reputable place, and ask em how much it will cost... just do lots of research, alot of crooks out there

A M E N ! ! Unfortunately, this is common :(
You just gotta REALLY know who's palying with your paint, period!!!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
my supra is coing out of the booth late this afternoon. I had a damage to the rear quarter fixed, he found about 10-12 small dents around he car, completely sanded the front bumper due to rock chips, scuffed the hole car down, then primed/sealed it. Today the House of Kolors paint is going on with 3 coats of clear on top the being wetsanded and polished. All this for only $1600. Of course the guy who owns the shop is a very good friend of mine and that doesn't hurt.
The only thing is check in regularly so you know what is happening (and for pics) but do not try to rush them. Let them have your car for as long as they feel they need it, unless it is a rediculous amount of time, mine has been there for about a month now. but most of the body work was done by my buddy himself with the exception of some of the dent repairs.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts