Supra Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
wow the work is takes might as well buy a 6spd unless i get a auto tt for under 15k

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Luder said:
wow the work is takes might as well buy a 6spd unless i get a auto tt for under 15k
It's almost always better to buy what you want, in major items, than to try to buy and make major mods. Kinda like buying a 2 bedroom house when you need a 6 car garage.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Same goes for people who are going NA-T! Even though insurance is cheaper, just go twin turbo from the start dammit!

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
cheshirechap said:
First off Thanks for the words of encouragement! :D Second, auto to stock 6 speed you can still pick up a v160 with a bad synchro for around $1k-$1.5k and rebuild it for cheaper than the cost of a brand new one. The cost of JDM Auto to 6 speed(or even stock auto to 6 speed) will be different because you initially don't need the 6 speed ECU if you can live with the timing pull. Used synchros? wtf I was talking differential/transmission/etc all the big parts which you can get when people upgrade.

Warrantied parts... You're kidding right? You put a warrantied part in a modified car and toyota's going to laugh at you when you bring it in. Not to mention they laugh at you anyway for parts that could take abuse from "the way you drive." They tried to blame 3 clutch failures on me when it was their fault for putting in one with the wrong number of dampeners and this is on a stock car. I had to do a load of research and I finally got it out of my one of my father's friends who owns a dealership out in the boonies that toyota was putting the wrong clutches in this particular car.
First, if you think that the tranny has only one bad synchro, good luck. I know all about synchro replacement.

Secondly, I would not choose to live with timing pull.

Third, I don't recall you mentioning an upgraded car here. The guy asking was interested in a TT. Your damn right Toyota would have to give a limited warrenty.

Sorry to hear about your clutch problems, but that is unrelated.

I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". A v160 for $700 is probably FUBAR.

Just do it the right way. It's not rocket science.

Joe

·
SpooooL
591 Posts
Search...search...search...search...search...search...wait, most of the searching has been done for you, or has it? My advice is to save for a 6spd. Now, do I have the right to speak my opinion on this subject? Yup...because I did the auto to 6spd swap. I got a good deal on the tranny which is why I did it. All of the stock parts I bought through Curt Aigner, and let me tell you, he is a great guy to deal with if you are doing this, or buying any stock parts for that matter. Dont PM me asking me where to get all the parts, because almost all are posted here. I can try to point you in the right direction but I wont do a step by step because this type of project isnt for those who aren't commited to thier MKIV like I am and like alot of owners on this site. Some will give you good advice, some will say that you should buy a 6spd, some swear by the auto. Everyone has a right to speak thier opinion and say whatever they want, and on Supraforums, you best believe we will.

You dont have to buy everything new, but there's a risk in that. If you are really serious about buying an MKIV, wait for the 6spd unless you like challenges, and in my case, I do. So go look, research not just this project, but what it takes to keep this car running good, the troubles you will find with it, and why this car isnt for the faint of hearts. :)

Sorry this was so long

Lenny

·
Registered
827 Posts
aka too much

·
Registered
1993.5 White Turbo Supra
919 Posts
its not worth going 6spd from an auto.. cheaper to just buy a 6spd..

21 - 28 of 28 Posts