Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members. I finally joined this Forum that I have heard so much about :) . I've got a 95 Supra SP67 6-speed which I love. For some reason I hear this light chattering noise when I'm cruising. I've got a lightweight flywheel with the RPS clutch and the flywheel chatters at idle, and that's what it sounds like. I'm not sure if it's just my lightweight flywheel or a bad bearing. When I'm driving with part throttle and go above 3k rpms, I hear this chattering noise and it kinda gets louder or maybe I'm just being paranoid :sadance: . Maybe you have some input on this.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
any movement from the crankpully (trying pulling on it) also did you bypass the clutch start? it's a good idea when running a heavy PP. no oil pressure with all that force on start-up is not good for the thrust washers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah the clutch is bypassed on start-up. I'm just wondering if it could be a bad bearing or something similar unless lightweight flywheels chatters at higher rpms as well.

·
Real Girl Thread FTW!
4,626 Posts
It might be some transmission noise. Have you changed your trans fluid?
Also check to see if the inspection covers are installed on the transmission or not!
Good luck ! keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Speedmaster747 said:
It might be some transmission noise. Have you changed your trans fluid?
Also check to see if the inspection covers are installed on the transmission or not!
Good luck ! keep us posted!
Quick question....whats the deal with the inspection covers being installed or not? What's your thought process behind how that would be causing what he is describing? I really don't understand and would like it explained to me. I'm always curious. :)

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
I'd say it's from the undampend flywheel. The V160 loves to sind at low RPM vibration without the stock flywheel. It isn't chatter though. Chatter is the wrong term. What does the inspection plate being there have to do with anything? Thinking some debris got into the bellhousing or something?

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
By bypass the clutch start, you mean wire it so you can start the car without pressing the clutch? Can someone explain why this is beneficial?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Italia, I have a different setup than you, but I have the same symptoms. I have a Fidanza flywheel with an OEM clutch, and it chatters like crazy all the time. The only time it doesn't is when I'm flat out. However, if I floor it in 6th at 2-3k, it chatters almost as bad as it does during idle. I've had no problems to date.
Mike

·
Registered
280 Posts
TOB? Who??

·
Registered
280 Posts
NM Throw Out Bearing....I got it. I'm one of those smart kids ya see?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm glad this thread came up.

Just had the RPS C/C with the chromoloy flywheel installed. Used to have a 6 puck with stock flywheel. It doesn't chatter too bad at idle (except with the AC on), but in fifth gear at 2200rpm I get a metal type chattering/grinding noise. Now, this did not exist prior to the new clutch install, so I'm assuming it is the flywheel. The sound goes away as I slowly accelerate and the rpms go up to around 2500-2600rpms.

I thought the chattering was just during idle with the car out of gear? It can happen at low rpms in any gear? Anyway, that's what it sounds like.

I hate the fucking sound, it drives me crazy. I just wish there was a stock flywheel/clutch combo that would hold the power like the other clutches do.

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
I got the RPS C/C and I get that sound at low rpms in 5th gear as well. That is normal from what I understand. I just keep the rpm's closer to 3k when cruising in 5th if not 6th. I think that sound will occur in every gear except for first and second but it's just more pronounced in 4th, 5th and 6th. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts