Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a few problems lately, on my 89NA I rebuilt about 1500 miles ago..

- 15 MPG, Driven Conservitavly
- Smell Raw gas After shutdown, randomly
- Randomly will crank, then start, or start imediatly
- At High RMP's I will feel a miss, randomly
- Somtimes I will idle at 1200, somtimes at 650, If I am at 650 and hit the gas upto 4grand it'll drop down to 1100, or exactly oposite. Also, when I'm down at 650, the needle is very steady, however I can feel the engine getting a little rough.
- Very recently, my car has simply not started. Relay will click, as will the starter, which is BRAND NEW but won't turn over.

As I mentioned, my starter is very new, i Just replaced it, my alt and batt. are both kinda old but I dont' have the means to replace them if that's not the problem... There's two problems going on, I think... if anyone could shed some light on either of them I'd appreciate it.. due to a recomendation from the SOGI list, I tested the Cold Start injector... the resistance is 3.7 which is right where it should be according to the TSRM

_ Justin

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
hmmm the misses and the gas issues could be one in the same....possibly dirty injectors.....also for the hell of it check your spark plug wires, spark plugs, and your intake......make sure everything is kosher there....

the starter issue is a well known one...if you search on SOGI you will probably find the tech tips about replacing the contacts.....however for A LOT of people they still have problems that cant be explained. the only real solution i have seen to this is to install a push button start. this bypasses the ignition wires...which at least i believe might be where the problem ACTUALLY lies.....the push button start works everytime as ive seen it. the longer you wait on this problem...more then the likley the worse and worse its gonna get....

hope that helps bro....let me know if you have any other questions or whatnot......

T

·
0 Posts
This problem sounds like a small gas leak. Did you replace all the copper fuel line gaskests after your rebuild? Also for the starter...try cleaning your battery terminals and check your ground straps.

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Attach a fuel pressure gauge and see how quickly the presure drops after you turn the car off. It should hold the base pressure for at least 10 minutes. Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and make sure that it is not ruptured--if you have fuel or fuel smell in the vacuum line that is one of the problems. You may also have a sticking injector, that would explain the raw fuel smell after shutdown, the poor gas mileage and the occasional high idle. Check to make sure that your throttle linkage and/or throttle plate is not binding. The starter problem is more than likely due to resistance in the wires either from the switch to the relay or from the relay to the stater solenoid. The easiest solution that I have found is to run a remote stater solenoid (so that is stays cool) to turn the starter over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts