Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting tired of looking for a solid tt rear, and before i buy a brand new one, im wondering a few things. Mind you, i have searched, but just havent found any concise information. Hopefully this will be common knowledge for some:

1. Will the NA 5spd pumpkin accept the TT auto ring and pinion(3.76) and the Trd Auto LSD?

2. Will the tt 6spd ring bolt to the auto lsd, and the pinion fit into the pumpkin?

The lsd and the ring&pinion is signifigantly cheaper than a new rear, and will be fresher than a used one. This is holding up my six speed swap, and the weather is too nice around here to not have the car out. HELP!

Thanks,
Josh

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I am 99% sure the TRD and the ring/pinion will drop right in. Contact Curt at Elmhurst about the TRD, he will know what it fits in.

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
from what iv done with the diff it will drop right in. the gearing will not be a problem either.( for the auto TRD slip and gearing)

the problem i forsee is that the TT 6 speed pinion and gear set (size wise not just gearing.... ) might be differnt for the 6 speeds compaired to the autos. although the case is the similar, it is offset compaired to the autos and there has to be some reason and difference in the two cases to make that change bettween the autos and 6 speeds.

·
Banned
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant remember off the top of my head, but what is the ratio for the NA AUTO rear? If it too is 3.76, then my best bet would be to cop one of them used, and just do the lsd and bearings to end up with the 3.76, the lsd, and not hurting my pocket!

Thanks for the fast replies fellas, im gettin antsy :drool:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I thought the 6-speed Ring requires more bolts than the auto and 5spd rings? Isn't the auto a 10bolt, where the 6speed is a 12bolt? or somethin like that anyhow.

The TT Auto TRD LSD has been installed into NA diff's a few times here. You should be able to upgrade and use the TT Auto rings and pinion.

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
ohh good question, iv never had a TT 6 speed diff all the way apart to see if they are 12 bolt. i just assumed they were like the auto's.

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I believe that depending on the year, the na auto diff will be 4.27 or 4.08 gears. The TT auto is 3.77

·
Registered
91 Posts
DaveH said:
I believe that depending on the year, the na auto diff will be 4.27 or 4.08 gears. The TT auto is 3.77
Dave, this brings up another question,
what ratio would you recommend for street use only with 18" wheels, bearing in mind i intend going NA-T?
I`m finding my standard N/A setup is too high (especially first), would the 3.77 auto be better?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
YES, if your staying 5spd or auto. If you go 6spd, you really need the 6spd diff. You wouldn't launch as quickly with the 3.77, but your top speed would improve.

The 4.x gearing is great for launching on your buddies at the street lights or even at the track for 60ft times, buy economically the 3.77 would be better for daily drivers who cruise on the highways and want to get the best mpg as possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts