Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a little searching of the forum and it seems that it has been awhile since this topic came up. I have a rebuilt 7mgte swapped 89 mk3. It has had a hard start issue the past few years until suddenly recently it would not start at all. I noticed on the cam position sensor that the wires are extremely hard and/or brittle.

I see that DM has a "rebuild" kit, but it's only bearings and seals. Driftmotion also sells a new connector, but I am not sure if that will do much for me since the wires are brittle up to the point that they go into the CPS.

So what are the options in 2021 for a CPS? Just finding another used one from a part out? Or does anyone know of a good rebuild kit that's floating around out there?

Also, has anyone used this guy on ebay to rebuild their cps?

CPS REBUILD SERVICE - MK3 Supra 7MGTE Cam Position Sensor MKIII 1987-92 | eBay

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Not sure if that’s his eBay name but I think that’s [mention]Piratetip [/mention] .

He offers a rebuild for the CPS and for the diff. Possibly other services. I plan to send my CPS his way sometime in the next year or so.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
640 Posts
Yup that's me.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
640 Posts
Yeah just let me know. I can do it whenever.
Most CPS units are in rough shape these days, they work good when I am done with them.

Reactions: figgie

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK cool. My wires are absolutely cooked and the car has been giving the classic dying cps symptoms. So I may have you rebuild mine soon.
Awesome. I'll shoot you a pm on here soon when I'm ready to get it done. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
640 Posts
Sure thing.
I haven't gotten around to making a rebuild service post here on the forums yet.
Though I have checked with mods to get the ok.

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure thing.
I haven't gotten around to making a rebuild service post here on the forums yet.
Though I have checked with mods to get the ok.
That would be a service that I am sure many could use. I doubt I'm the only one with a cps that is badly in need of a rebuild.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
640 Posts
We all have those problems. :)
Anything we haven't yet fixed is going to be an issue later.
Haha!
I am batting with my own Supra as well.

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We all have those problems. :)
Anything we haven't yet fixed is going to be an issue later.
Haha!
I am batting with my own Supra as well.
It can be a love hate thing. Mine has been more mutual hate lately lol.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Another thing that gives weird problems is the fuel pump relay located in the fuse box behind the battery. It's a common relay. I keep a spare in the trunk in case the current one starts acting up. Typical behavior is trying to start a heat soaked engine and no cranking unless repeated cycling of the ignition switch is done.

Here are some tests you can preform on your current CPS from the online Supra manual.
Click here to go there.

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another thing that gives weird problems is the fuel pump relay located in the fuse box behind the battery. It's a common relay. I keep a spare in the trunk in case the current one starts acting up. Typical behavior is trying to start a heat soaked engine and no cranking unless repeated cycling of the ignition switch is performed.

Here are some tests you can preform on your current CPS from the online Supra manual.
Click here to go there.
That's good to know. I think in my case it is cps because the wires are beyond cooked and super fragile. And it will start if i jiggle them.

I probably should keep a relay on hand just in case.

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
627 Posts
This post is right on time for me. My CPS unit itself "seems" to be in good shape, but the the connector leads are a bit flakey. I had to use a small to push the leads in tighter from the new connector I put on last summer. Runs great when its running, but seems to still have an issue starting intermittently.

@Piratetip I'll look into sending you one for a rebuild soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This post is right on time for me. My CPS unit itself "seems" to be in good shape, but the the connector leads are a bit flakey. I had to use a small to push the leads in tighter from the new connector I put on last summer. Runs great when its running, but seems to still have an issue starting intermittently.

@Piratetip I'll look into sending you one for a rebuild soon. Thanks!
That is sort of how mine started. At first it wouldn't start easily when hot. Then it got to where it wouldn't start at all regardless of temp unless i jiggled the cps wires. They were extremely brittle.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts