Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I wanted to get your opinions on something, here is my story.

A couple years ago on my 86.5 when I was still really stupid with cars, i let that damn hose plug near the firewall leak away all the coolant, and i kept driving it around. The temp. gauge would shoot way up (above the red even), and i would shut it off, wait a couple minutes and drive it again each time it happened. In total, I'd say the car spent about 55 seconds total running with the temp gauge above the redline. I know now that the head gasket is blown because of it, but is the head cracked too? I hear they do sometimes when you really cook em. Is there an easy way to find out? I sold the car to my friend a year ago, and he has put 15,000 miles on the BHG just the way it is (he just keeps adding coolant).

D

·
0 Posts
If the guy put 15,000 miles on it with a BHG it's garbage most likely.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
86.5, NA?

if so, scrap your engine, buy a JDM one, or do a turbo swap.... IMHO

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Wow, 15k miles on a BHG? Yikes that is neglect.
I was pissed at myself for driving down to Vegas last year with a BHG. (Adding water the last few miles.)
My head was fine, but I never ran it into the "hot" zone at all. I would stop before it got there.
Also ran with the radiator cap on the first stop, so it would not build pressure. (Makes for easy refils, and does not blow out coolant as fast. However, it also boils off the coolant faster as you have no pressure on the system that way.)
Good luck.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you think it's toast? What gets me is that the engine runs fine, its a very small leak, no white smoke or anything, and the leak hasnt seemed to get any bigger

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
damn, i freaked out about driving mine last night about 50 miles with a BHG. but it didn't get into the red zone. 15k on a bhg is insane dude

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you think it has done more damage than just blowing the head gasket?

·
Registered
219 Posts
well, the head is definetly messed up, mine got screwed and i only drove from brooklyn to englishtown and bak on the bhg. dats like wat 50 miles i guess. i got a rebuilt head for $400. considering the high temperture it is also possible that your engine block could of cracked too. and the internals dont hold up so well either under high tempertures.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah ha..Next question, where's a good place online to order heads?

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
dude, heads online are like $1,000 when i was looking. I just bought one from a dismantler, mine was $250, and then i had it machined and had the hardware put in. It was alot cheaper

1 - 11 of 11 Posts