Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cracked tubular manifold on runners 2 and 3 all the way around the bottom. Not sure who made the manifold but it does have twin wastegates and seems to be in good shape for being 10+ years old. The old jb 6766 is fine for its age but I'm worried the manifold will wear out from driving 15 to 20k a year with a lot of cruising and driving in traffic. Is it worth having a shop to repair it? I couldn't remove it myself and I don't have a garage or lift to get those bolts out underneath:/ I need to get some pictures but these were the latest I have in my camera roll.

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damage to Surrounding Parts

In some cases, a cracked exhaust manifold can cause damage to other parts in the engine bay. It's no secret that exhaust gases are hot, and when those hot gases leak through a cracked manifold, they can melt wires or even ignite parts made of combustible materials.
Manifold cracked after a long drive on the highway. Luckily it happened a mile away from my destination so I didn't have to go very far with the car rumbling away with a bad exhaust leak sound. I did not find any damage elsewhere so I don't think there are any other issues as of yet.

·
Swagger Wagon
422 Posts
Best bet is to replace it. it'll keep happening and it'll start cracking in other places.
From memory I think you only need a 12mm wrench to remove the lower bolts.

off topic... I have a full-race manifold for sale on the north/east

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best bet is to replace it. it'll keep happening and it'll start cracking in other places.
From memory I think you only need a 12mm wrench to remove the lower bolts.

off topic... I have a full-race manifold for sale on the north/east
Haha yes I saw you have a lovely full race kit. I'm a couple hours away from NYC but I still need to get this manifold off somehow 😅

·
From the land down under
5,097 Posts

In some cases, a cracked exhaust manifold can cause damage to other parts in the engine bay. It's no secret that exhaust gases are hot, and when those hot gases leak through a cracked manifold, they can melt wires or even ignite parts made of combustible materials.
Thank you for your opinion, Oh Bot Of Spam...

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVTi 6062
796 Posts

Very cool you googled it

·
Registered
Supra - Targa 87 with 7MGE, A340E, and sports package. 7MGTE being built currently
7 Posts
pictures look like something out of chernobyl lol. Hard to say with the picture quality but if you have concern, or at least definitely hear an exhaust leak, I'd have it fixed.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pictures look like something out of chernobyl lol. Hard to say with the picture quality but if you have concern, or at least definitely hear an exhaust leak, I'd have it fixed.
Hahahaha 😂 Everything with the turbo kit looks 15 years old. It was mentioned it could be the original HKS style manifold. It does have 2 bolt wastegates:/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts