Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference in size between a GTE and GE crank boss. I have a JDM NA jza80 that I’m currently converting from auto to manual. The adapter kit I bought from Autosports Engineering has had fitment issues from the beginning, but the last piece of the puzzle is the flywheel. The pilot bore on the flywheel doesn’t fit around the crank boss and they are telling me it’s my problem. I always thought they were all the same, but I’m only asking here to verify. Let me know and thank you 🙏
4582C00C-B059-4BF0-9283-FD2270AB41DA.jpeg

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
They are the same, probably the aftermarket flywheel is too tight of a tolerance or machined wrong.

·
Registered
91 Posts
adapter kit I bought from Autosports Engineering has had fitment issues from the beginning

The cranks are the same. Is there anyway to measure the same area on the automatic flex plate and then measure the ASE flywheel and compare them? That would probably be the best way to decide if ASE is FOS, or if there really is something odd with your crank. I’ve already made my decision, but this isn’t the place for it. 👍🏼

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Something is up with your kit. Measure the ID of your flexplate then measure the ID of your "kit"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cranks are the same. Is there anyway to measure the same area on the automatic flex plate and then measure the ASE flywheel and compare them? That would probably be the best way to decide if ASE is FOS, or if there really is something odd with your crank. I’ve already made my decision, but this isn’t the place for it. 👍🏼
I have definitely made up my mind and I’m kicking myself for making the decision to go with ASE. I received poorly made/ill-fitting parts. Every part of the original adapter kit that was sent to me has been replaced because there were problems with it. I’ve gotten a replacement adapter plate, all the hardware sent with it was wrong, and I’ve even gotten a replacement flywheel from them that still doesn’t fit. I was 99% sure there weren’t differences, but I just wanted some validation from here tbh. Here is the gauling I’ve caused trying to bolt it up. And it’s clear there is a significant difference.

it’s just annoying being blamed for someone’s inability to correctly manufacture the parts 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
91 Posts
kicking myself for making the decision to go with ASE.
Yeah that sucks dude, definately shouldn’t have to force fit the parts enough to cause galling/deep scratches. I didn’t get bit as hard as you by ASE, I just tried to get a set of 1NZ coil pack brackets for my 2JZ. ASE kept sending mismatched sets . Then they felt like I was trying to cheat them out of an extra set of brackets because yeah, I really want to screw somebody out of 100$... so I just made it work. It’s under my coil pack cover so no one knows but me. A recent thread on a IS300 forum had a guy buy an ASE fuel hanger and it was a lot of work to get it in his car. Definitely not plug and play.

I’d see if you can get a refund and go another route. Sucks but it won’t be nagging you for the entire time you own and drive the car, worrying something else is going to fail in the ASE “kit”. I’d worry that if the pilot area ID wasn’t machined correctly then the OD may be incorrect as well, or unbalanced, or whatever. Doesn’t exactly sow confidence in the ability.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
547 Posts
How does a company get away with making parts wrong but still has customers?

I can't let anything I make out the door without double or triple checking everything. Not to mention the photo documentation of the whole process so I can go back and verify if any questions come up.

It always amazes me that these kind of businesses survive.
Is ASE just outsourcing their machining work, receiving parts and just packaging up stuff without actually doing any quality checks?
The parts look billet, you would think a CNC program would be highly accurate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that sucks dude, definately shouldn’t have to force fit the parts enough to cause galling/deep scratches. I didn’t get bit as hard as you by ASE, I just tried to get a set of 1NZ coil pack brackets for my 2JZ. ASE kept sending mismatched sets . Then they felt like I was trying to cheat them out of an extra set of brackets because yeah, I really want to screw somebody out of 100$... so I just made it work. It’s under my coil pack cover so no one knows but me. A recent thread on a IS300 forum had a guy buy an ASE fuel hanger and it was a lot of work to get it in his car. Definitely not plug and play.

I’d see if you can get a refund and go another route. Sucks but it won’t be nagging you for the entire time you own and drive the car, worrying something else is going to fail in the ASE “kit”. I’d worry that if the pilot area ID wasn’t machined correctly then the OD may be incorrect as well, or unbalanced, or whatever. Doesn’t exactly sow confidence in the ability.
This is exactly what’s been eating at me about making the ASE kit work. Like yeah it’s not a ton of work to make the flywheel fit, but do I feel confident when that’s at 7500 rpm? Makes me think it just isn’t worth it and will likely cause problems down the road. He has been very against refunding me my money, so it may just be a cost I have to eat. I went this route because the clutch options were better than some of the other oddball sizes the other kits use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does a company get away with making parts wrong but still has customers?

I can't let anything I make out the door without double or triple checking everything. Not to mention the photo documentation of the whole process so I can go back and verify if any questions come up.

It always amazes me that these kind of businesses survive.
Is ASE just outsourcing their machining work, receiving parts and just packaging up stuff without actually doing any quality checks?
The parts look billet, you would think a CNC program would be highly accurate.
A couple of my friends are engineers and they were speculating the same thing with outsourcing the machining and just shipping it. These companies continue to stay in business because of the lack of info about experiences like this. I did some googling trying to find more bad experiences from ASE and they’re difficult to find. A few posts on forums here and there. There is one terrible experience on YouTube where the CD009 to 2jz has a flywheel failure. Really scary stuff. Overall I just want people to know what I’ve gone through wasting 6 months going back and forth with parts that don’t fit. I could have been driving my damn car, but instead I’m arguing with someone who sells crappy parts 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
547 Posts
100% agree.
Not a part you want to be second guessing.
You are helping others make an informed decision, nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: KrisOK

·
Registered
91 Posts
did some googling trying to find more bad experiences from ASE and they’re difficult to find.
Yeah, the ASE site had a feedback/review section. I posted my poor experience but my review mysteriously disappeared, and no record of my purchase exists, so I cannot re-post my feedback. 🙄 guess if no one can see it, it didn’t happen.

Here’s the IS300 fuel pump hanger review. There’s more stuff out there on Google, but I’ll let everyone decide on their own. I think the guy is capable but may just have too many “irons in the fire”. Not making excuses because I’d not deal with them again, but because the offerings seem thought out - but not fleshed out very well. A thousandth of an inch may as well be a mile in this flywheel instance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not surprised the review wasn’t posted on the ASE website, but it’s good to compile all the bad reviews so someone can actually find them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you're switching to a manual transmission don't forget to install the pilot bearing. It supports the weight of the pressure plate and flywheel at the front end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts