Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm trying to take off the crack pulley and i can't loosen this stupid bolt. The engine is just sitting on the pallet as it was shipped to me, don't have an engine stand yet. So any ideas how i can fix the flywheel so that it doesn't turn and so that the engine doesn't move and take the bolt off. I have a huge bar, but everytime i tried using it the engine whould start moving (some one was holding the flywheel). Anyway, u get the idea. And i can't buy an engine stand right now, so that's not an option, and no access to an impact gun.

thx

Andriy

·
Registered
361 Posts
what i did is tied a rope to the flywheel bolt and then turned the flywheel the way tyou would when un-doing the crank pulley and then having the rope go to yhr outer 'lining-up notches" (sorry not sure what there called) and then using a breaker bar on the pulley...

sorry havent really explained in detail but you might get the picture..

another way is to have the rachet on the bolt and send sharp pulses to it using a hammer or somrething... sharp movements will usually break the bond the nut has...

yada yada

understand? i know if i read that again i might not lol :p

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought of using the hammer and try that but haven't had the time to do it yet, prbly try it next time around

the rope thing, i THINK i know what u mean, gonna try that if the hammer fails, or the rope and the hammer together =)))

thx for the suggestions =)))

·
Registered
361 Posts
yeah sorry that was a kinda rushed explination...

with the rope on the flywheel.. have it tied to the flare of the bell housing kinda bit... might try draw a pic... ...

bbs ;)

·
Fuzz E. Guy
853 Posts
I took the flywheel off then put two of the bolts part way back in. Then I wedged a huge screwdriver between the two bolts and rotated the motor until the screwdriver jammed against the engine stand. After that I just used a 1/2" torque wrench to remove the bolt. You could just have someone hold the bar you put on the flywheel if you don't have an engine stand.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
impact wrench for 2 minutes, beat the hell out of a breaker bar with a long assed lever w/ hammer, yelled at it, then 1 minute of impact again an she came right off :)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
i had to take the bolt off today in fact...it was on a pallet like yours....what i did was stick a crowbar in the engine mount, then put a 10ft pipe through the crowbar and put the end under a jackstand that was under a car...that locked the block down so it wouldnt twist....

then i used a breaker bar and put it on the bolt then i took a "arm curl rest" from a workout bench and slipped it on the breaker bar and just jumped on the arm rest part till the bolt poped off....

i would spray the bolt with wd-40 every 2 min for 10 min before trying this...makes it a bit easier

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
Bent valve !!

Any inlet or exhaust valve will do (bash one out at a scrap yard)
put in vice use a soft hammer bend over 90 deg

locks in flywheel/flexplate teeth to bell boltl hole use to remove/refit crank bolt

(use exhaust valves dont snap as easy,old 8 valvers are best)

:D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok, that uber-ghetto picture is awesome!!! best diagram EVER!!!
I will definetely try this =)))
and thx for actually taking the time to draw a diagram.

and yeah, impact gun would be the best solution, but like i said before, no way i can get one=(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's what I did, GET MORE LEVERAGE, go to home depot and look for a 4-6 foot metal pole that is hollow, the put one end on your breaker bar and turn at the end of the pole. Your buddy will definetly need to be holding the flywheel strong, but it worked for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts