Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pulling my engine apart for the first time because I cracked a piece off #3 piston. Everything going great tlll I get to this crank pulley bolt. Manual shows special tool which I don't have. This bolt is not reverse thread right? I used a cheater bar and torqued on it so hard I flipped the engine stand, luckily engine was fine. Then I cut my hand trying to pick the bastard up. man engines are heavy!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
At this point I would tell you to get a 3/4" ingersoll impact gun with a 22mm 3/4" drive socket and a 1/2 air hose with 3/8" fittings, Thats what it took to get mine off.

Joe.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That freak can be tuff. I had to use a custom tool braced against the floor and a breaker bar to get mine off. Both of my impact guns wouldnt even touch it.

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
take a torch and heat the bolt dead center in the middle of bolt head. then while it's stil hot quickly try and torque it off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I must of been lucky. I just used my Craftsman cordless impact, then the balancer pulley remover i bought from advanced auto.

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
t51rmkiv said:
I must of been lucky. I just used my Craftsman cordless impact, then the balancer pulley remover i bought from advanced auto.
you were. most of them take a little bit of heat or work to get them off. then there are others that you can get out with a breaker bar or an impact with no trouble. lol.

·
Inline for the win
4,741 Posts
Get the 3.5' or 4' pipe off your floor jack, a breaker bar (not ratchet) and the socket. Put the breaker bar and socket setup on the crank pulley. Take the pipe setup off your floorjack and then slide it over the breaker bar. Then start to break it loose byy applying your force. *Make sure the rear wheels are on the ground and the tranny is in 1st gear.

Once you start to apply force to the 4' lever, it will begin to flex a little with some rebound ( the rubber section in the flywheel is doing this). Keep pushing or pulling(depending on how you positioned yourself with the car) with this untill you break it loose . You will prolly have to attempt this around 4 times until some the force in the torqued bolt is released. You will know when it breaks loose. You will end up applying at least a 60lbs of force if you are using the 4' pipe setup.

Oh, you better have some back muscles for rowing cuz you will be definately using them.

I did this and Its not easy but without a doubt possilbe without using an impact, SST tool or the starter trick. This is where the moment about the system will shine (For all you mechanical engineers).

DP

·
Ex APU Supra Guy
173 Posts
Suprafied said:
Get the 3.5' or 4' pipe off your floor jack, a breaker bar (not ratchet) and the socket. Put the breaker bar and socket setup on the crank pulley. Take the pipe setup off your floorjack and then slide it over the breaker bar. Then start to break it loose byy applying your force. *Make sure the rear wheels are on the ground and the tranny is in 1st gear.

Once you start to apply force to the 4' lever, it will begin to flex a little with some rebound ( the rubber section in the flywheel is doing this). Keep pushing or pulling(depending on how you positioned yourself with the car) with this untill you break it loose . You will prolly have to attempt this around 4 times until some the force in the torqued bolt is released. You will know when it breaks loose. You will end up applying at least a 60lbs of force if you are using the 4' pipe setup.

Oh, you better have some back muscles for rowing cuz you will be definately using them.

I did this and Its not easy but without a doubt possilbe without using an impact, SST tool or the starter trick. This is where the moment about the system will shine (For all you mechanical engineers).

DP
Do this but instead just crank the engine. Dont turn it over but a 1/2 sec turn of the key and it will come right off.

·
Inline for the win
4,741 Posts
Dynmicracr said:
Do this but instead just crank the engine. Dont turn it over but a 1/2 sec turn of the key and it will come right off.

You might want to remove the EFI fuses before you crank it just incase it decides to fire. This is just a safety precaution to eliminate the possibility of engine firing.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
We used heat and the engine torque after swearing at it for a few minutes!! Swearing didn't do shit.....so try that last.

B

·
0 Posts
Ubermensch said:
chain wrench + 4' breaker bar did the trick for me.
Ditto for me too... I tried everything under the sun. I even used a 3/4" 1000ft lb impact.... to no avail.

I tried talking really nice to her and then I switched to cussing and screaming and throwing tools, but she didn't even blink an eye... she smiled and kept coming.

SO I grabbed my trusty vise grip chain wrench, locked it up tight with a piece of old belt wrapped around the pulley, put a towel against the water pump pulley, grabbed a 6 ft breaker bar, and gave it hell.... and SNAP.... I about filled my shorts when it snapped cause I could have sworn it souned like the car exploded. But to my surprise, nothing was wrong. Just be careful.

B

·
0 Posts
Some of em are a bitch, some are real easy. I gave up on one in a customer's car once after I put over 1200 ft/lbs on it trying to get it off with no luck. I made a plate to bolt the crank to the block on the back of the motor and with the amount of force I applied it started to bend the bolts holding the plate. He's gonna take it to Toyota to have them do it, let them rip the threads out of the crank if anyone is. I tried all sorts of shit on that thing and nothing I tried got it. Whats funny is most other ones will come off with a good 1/2" impact...

·
Registered
215 Posts
There is thread locker on the bolt and you have to heat the bolt head up to break the bond of the locker. Also by heating the bolt you realease all the tension that is built up while tightening it. Once that is done the bolt will come right off. You have to get it red hot! Oxygen acetylene is what you need or a 1 inch impact gun.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the replys.Tried the chain wrench to no avail today. guess I'll try heating it up now. This thing is kicking my ass!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok guys heres how i got the last two bolts loose on Steve Jarvis and my cars timing belt installations.Get a 1 inch by 2 inch piece of metal square box tubeing about 3 and 1/2 foot long.Make some measurements on the front of the pulley, bolt spaceing,head size ect.Towards the end of the tubeing you will need to drill some holes,you will need some holesaws.Bolt the tubeing to the front of the crankshaft,i would use hardened bolts.Turn the crank pulley so the other end of the tubeing is against the floor.I broke every 1/2 drive pull bar and socket i had so i had to get out my 3/4 inch drive stuff.I got the bolts loose useing a 3/4 inch drive pull bar with long pipe as an extension.
Hope this helps.Pictures attached.

Frank

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have you gotten it off yet?
If not, the trick I use is to tighten the bolt, yes tighten it. After tightin it, put that impact in reverse and pray that the bolt comes off. Works in the same theory that you have to break the bond that is on the treads. I can sit and use an impact for hours and nothing will happen then remember to tighten first and it comes right out. If that doesn't work use the heat but be careful that you don't heat the pully to much, you could melt the rubber insulator on the pulley.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try it. I got a 1,000lb impact and it didn't work. I'll try it your way now. If that doesn't work I'll be searching for some torches. I was thinking the same thing about melting the pulley that's why I didn't want to resort to that

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had to pull mine a week ago to replace the timing belt. Dealer Tech. said to
place the breaker bar under the passenger side frame and use the starter. (Bump it)
It scared me so I tried every way from heat to WD- 40. I could hold
the crank, but even with a 4' long square tube,(leg of engine hoist), I
couldn't budge it.
Finally broke down and tried it the way the Tech. had said. I could kick myself
for wasting 2 days trying to do it any other way. 1/4 second bump on the
starter and it was free. Be sure that the bar is tight against the bottom of
the frame, or it will hit it a ton.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts