Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was changing my serpentine belt today when I discovered that my outer crank pulley turn w/ out the center. I guess this could be a common thing? Is there a better one out there to avoid this problem again. I really dont want to put a solid pulley on there cause I still want the oem harmonic crap to avoid any crank issues. Please let me know what you guys come up with, I appreciate the help, thanks in advance....

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Yea you probably broke it. I twisted the outer part right off of mine. Go with a boost logic crank pulley and you are set.

·
Always on pump gas...
701 Posts
To answer your questions:

YES, it's common, I've had it happen twice.

YES there are better setups that are dampened. try Boostlogic (they're a sponsor here and alot of guys swear by their crank pulley) best thing is its SFI approved and uses the stock belt, no changes needed.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
ati pulley uses a different size belt as well... yeah, they brake a lot, at least yours didnt explode on you like i had happen to me TWICE! i have the ati and am happy with it, any aftermarket dampened should suite your needs, i would say the boostlogic looks the best though, may be a pain to keep looking nice.

·
Registered
942 Posts
hmm, when replacing my tensioner just a couple of weeks ago i think i noticed the same on my car, but i had no idea it wasn't supposed to work like this. (assuming this is the one on the bottom right when standing in front of the car) I'll have to re-check mine to make sure i'm not imagining stuff, because i have pretty bad lighting in the garage where i work on my car.

For the moment, let's say it is free-spinning, is it likely to break? what is the purpose of this pulley (forgive me for not knowing this) Am i driving around with a time-bomb under the hood?

Thanks,
Luke.

·
Banned
109 Posts
hmm, when replacing my tensioner just a couple of weeks ago i think i noticed the same on my car, but i had no idea it wasn't supposed to work like this. (assuming this is the one on the bottom right when standing in front of the car) I'll have to re-check mine to make sure i'm not imagining stuff, because i have pretty bad lighting in the garage where i work on my car.

For the moment, let's say it is free-spinning, is it likely to break? what is the purpose of this pulley (forgive me for not knowing this) Am i driving around with a time-bomb under the hood?

Thanks,
Luke.
the crank pulley is the one in the center of the engine at the bottom. the one on the bottom right is your ac pulley. it will spin freely until you turn on your ac and engage the compressor. then it will spin and drive the compressor. if you had a bad crank pullie it would squel pretty loud when you first start the car (outer ring not spinning inner ring spinning).

·
Registered
210 Posts
the crank pulley is the one in the center of the engine at the bottom. the one on the bottom right is your ac pulley. it will spin freely until you turn on your ac and engage the compressor. then it will spin and drive the compressor. if you had a bad crank pullie it would squel pretty loud when you first start the car (outer ring not spinning inner ring spinning).
Whenever I turn my air on the car surges a little and sometimes makes a slight vibration. Could this be caused by a bad AC pullyey?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What causes this pulley to go bad? Miles, Hp or just time? and is it more comon on the 6spd or the same for Autos as well?

Thanks!

·
Always on pump gas...
701 Posts
What causes this pulley to go bad? Miles, Hp or just time? and is it more comon on the 6spd or the same for Autos as well?

Thanks!
I believe all three play a major part.

From my experience it's just the rubber insulator between the balancer part and the pulley itself that just gets old and cracks/separates causing the pulley to either just not spin and make a horrible screeching noise or eventually fall off(which mine did) I was REALLY lucky and the serpentine belt ended up going from the pulley and centered itself on the balancer and limped it home 5 miles. I didn't even realize it until I went to replace it the next day and found the pulley part laying on the swaybar and saw the belt on the harmonic balancer. I just thought the rubber wore out to the point where it spun. (it was night time when it messed up)

I don't think there's any sort of discrimination over what cars it affects, there was an NA owner in town that had it happen to him also. It just gets old and breaks, I would have bought a BL pulley by now but I keep getting stock ones for free or damn near it.

is the unorthadox pully worth getting in anyway?
I'd say NO. It's not dampened, the harmonic vibrations of the engine will kill itself in no time without a harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked me up a boost logic dampner. Im pretty sure its a good choice and judging by research and alot of positive posts about it, it is. The only bad thing is that their hard to find. I was pretty lucky. I guess their on back order for a while. Ill let you know how the installation goes. Thanks for the info guys....

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Whenever I turn my air on the car surges a little and sometimes makes a slight vibration. Could this be caused by a bad AC pullyey?
Thanks
The idle RPM increases when the A/C is on. The vibration I can't comment on whether it's a bad pulley or not.

BTW, your aviator + sig is very disturbing but you probably already know that.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
Thanks
when you turn your a/c on it puts more load on the motor and if your ignition system is hurting the extra load could cause a slight misfire at idle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts