Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up,
I am new to the forum, but I have a question. I bought a 88 N/A about four months ago. It has been a great ride, but I had an engine knock about a month ago. I took the front of the engine apart and found that the keyway on the crank had worn to about an 1/2 inch. The engine still has plenty of power. Compression is good. Wanted to know if any one else had seen this problem? Or is this a fluke? And where would be a good place to find a replacment crank kit?

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I have seen that on other types of cars. Usually due to an undertightened crank pulley bolt or way overtightened accesory belts. A GOOD welder can repair it. Otherwise, Autozone stores have decent deals on replacement crank kits.

Welcome to the party, BTW. :)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
A guy I know here in Kennesaw repaired mine for me. I had the same problem, worn keyway, worn slot on the crank pulley as well. We got a replacement pulley and he mig welded a bead along the damaged side of the keyway. We then spent the next hour dremeling and die grinding the new material till it was perfect. DEFINATELY better than replacing the crank.
MY THANKS TO CHRIS !!!

ps- What part of GA are you in, Phantom?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I have been involved with any number of fast cars and have only seen this once. But I do have a friend that has a 90 turbo and on his last rebuild he had the same problem. Just hate to do major maint on an engine that is so strong. But I guess it is time for some upgrades :p

Warner Robins. Right in the Heart!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts