Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you catch your engine at the beginning of crankwalk symptoms is it possible to just replace the main bearings and check thrust clearance? Obviously checking the crank for any damage while the caps are out. I've read that most guys have just scrapped there engines once they've crank walked but im wondering how severe it has to be before doing so. My rps drop about 400 rpm when my clutch is engaged and i can see the crank pully move out about a mm or two when the clutch is engaged. I dont have any front seal problems, and am wondering if any movement over factory clearance would damage any other internals or if i can just put new bearings in and tighten everyting back to spec?

· Dr. Jeff Lange
8,964 Posts
The main bearings have very little to do with thrust movement. Only the thrust washers control that. If you are not having any major problems yet, chances are you can still fix it, but your crank and/or block may have some wear now that will put thrust clearance beyond spec even if you put in new thrust washers.

Toyota doesn't sell any oversized thrust washers for the 2JZ like they do on some other engines. Not sure if any aftermarket providers do.

It really depends on your crankshaft's condition at the point where it contacts the thrust washers.

I'd pull your bottom end out, measure your thrust clearance. Replace the thrust washers and measure it again. If it is outside of spec at that point, you may be looking for some new parts.

Jeff

· G-14 Classified
2,076 Posts
i have a nice crank/block that has only 3k miles NEW from toyota, and it is junk thanks to crank walk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.