Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving today and my car kept stalling out because of low rpms. I then noticed alot of coolant bubbling out of the resevoir. Then I started to drive again and I hear a bang. The pulley at the bottom left of my 1jzgte came apart. It looks like a large disc with a black foam in the middle of it. It connects to a large plate at the bottom left of my engine.
Is this the crankshaft pulley ot what?
And why would this cause the coolant to boil crazy?
Also can this be replaced with a 2jzgte pulley?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
well, your harmonic balancer spins the water pump via the serpentine belt, and if your harmonic balancer started wobbling and shit, it might have not turned the water pump enough, and caused your car to overheat.

and i'm pretty sure you can use the 2jz crank pulley

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
Winnipegman said:
Should the crankshaft pully seperate from the "large metal disc" I think it's called the harmonic balancer?
Yes. The harmonic balancer is a Maintanence part on all JZ engines. It comes apart and it should be replace every 100,000 miles or soo. You could buy a new Toyota one of get an aftermarket one from........... gosh I dont remember what the name is!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone confirm that the 2JZGTE pulley will work on the 1JZGTE. Also anyone know where I can buy one from? I looked at the ones on ebay but they were only the pulley and not the hanmonic dampener attached. I wouldn't think that would be good to run it with just the pulley. It looks like the 8.75" dampener is attached to the 6" pulley so it CAN NOT be removed? Or is there a way.

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks

·
Registered
488 Posts
Winnipegman said:
Can anyone confirm that the 2JZGTE pulley will work on the 1JZGTE. Also anyone know where I can buy one from? I looked at the ones on ebay but they were only the pulley and not the hanmonic dampener attached. I wouldn't think that would be good to run it with just the pulley. It looks like the 8.75" dampener is attached to the 6" pulley so it CAN NOT be removed? Or is there a way.

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks
go to BL's site or even Titan's, you should see what your looking for.

·
Registered
979 Posts
i believe there the same part...
the exact same thing happened to me on my old sc300...pulling out of the parking lot the power steering got tough......popped the hood and the belt was off and the balance was shot...just replaced with a stock piece and it was off and away..
call jeff watson ay jay marks/champion toyota...he has good info on what works with what...and can get ya a new one at a good price either way....
they are in the vendor section......
Jeff

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
It is VERY common for the JZ harmonic balancers to fall apart like you have described. Nothing new there.

A 2JZGTE balancer will work as a replacement. I don't know that I would trust buying a used part like that, but to each their own. I think you would be better off with a Fluidampr or a Boost Logic damper. Both are in the $400 range and well worth the price.

- Chris

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I know for a fact the 2j one works just fine. While in TX2k6 mine broke just as you are describing and the only one I could get my hands on was a boost logic piece for 400 bucks. Fits, looks, and works great.

Good luck finding one :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts