Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was getting the typical code 71 (It's a 93NA so I'm OBD1) for my egr valve. No biggie I thought. I broke out my vacuum pump and applied vacuum to the top of the EGR while the car was running and sure enough no change in idle or stalling. Pulled it off, yup carbon buildup. Cleaned it all and tested it on the bench and it was working fine now.

Now here's the fun part. I was putting it back on and while I was tightening the valve back onto the intake manifold I felt a strange click but didn't notice anything wrong. Finished connecting everything and started her up. Once it was warm the idle was all farked up and kept wanting to stall and bouncing all over the place like the opening credits to Baywatch. Crap. Applied vacuum to the valve and no real change in running condition but instead I was getting a weird demonic noise. I was pooped so it sat.

Well today I was looking at it and I found I cracked the the EGR where it bolts into the intake on one side and I guess when I had tigtened up the other side it had moved the egr just up a notch to where it was pumping its gas out into open air (and the cause of the demonic noise when vacuum testing). Went to loosen the other side just to move it down a notch so it wasn't as exposed and I ended up breaking that side too. I'm only using a 1/4" ratchet so I didn't think I was tightening the thing down that hard but I guess it must have been those damnned wheaties I keep eating for breakfast.

So anyone got one for sale? I'll give you $20! To top it off I was fixing it because I'm due for a dang smog check. oops!

·
Registered
951 Posts
all the more reason to do the EGR mod. unless you don't want to deal with smog issues. apparently some people have passed the smog test without it. just have to make sure the car is warm before they do it........which usually it is from you driving to the smog check

there is a writeup around here that you don't have to remove the pipe so it will pass visual. you just have to install expansion plugs to block it off

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I went to AAA to get a 30 day temporary operating permit while I fix the problem but those bastards won't give you one unless you have already failed smog!! Well I knew I would fail so what is the point of paying someone to tell me that???

I got frustrated and passed a test only station that had no one there on the way home so i said fark it. My MIL light had turned off the other day (still comes on and off) so I at least knew I wouldn't get knocked for that.

But I passed! Ha. I thought I would fail NOX with the barely connected EGR but those numbers weren't too bad. Barely passed HC at 15mph though by just one point below max. And I was sweating bullets when he did the visual check. I thought for sure he would notice a big chunk of metal on teh EGR missing and he kept going back to that point with his flashlight. But I guess he didnt see crap. Haha.

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
Speaking of this...does anyone have pictures of the harness tha tyou can put the resistor in if you keep throwing a code 71? I'm tired of throwing the code, but I'm not sure where to put the resistor...its a 10k ohm 1/2 watt one right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts