Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
iSPOOL
1,400 Posts
I'm finding only parts not available are the plastic bumper covers. Glass, hood, fenders , front bumper support, front bumper foam thing. all available direct from toyota of all places. Toyota did say they were going to support MKIV parts again.
Also have a line on some front clips if necessary to keep costs down. Most of the rebuild will be labor since I don't have a shop. I could do all the mechanical/electrical myself after the body gets straightened out.
Yeah the front & rear bumpers will be hard to find but I'm sure someone on here has them.
Did you have an agreed upon value on your car? Also what is your states percentage for a total loss?

When my friend wrecked my Yamaha R1 the insurance wanted to "total" the bike since it exceeded the 80% Florida threshold. Declined totaling it and was given a check for 78% of the value. My shop was able to repair my motorcycle with aftermarket fairings kit, a bunch of custom parts and powdercoating and had plenty money left over.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you want to keep it, might make some money taking the total payout and buying it back. Use that to fix it and replace parts with aftermarket. Kills resale, but if you weren't planning on selling it then it won't make a difference.

·
Administrator
8,804 Posts
Front 97-98 bumpers are available, front 93-96 are discontinued.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! sorry to hear of your mishap!

Parts will be a pain to find, even for the body shop. Four years back I painted my 1994 TT and fully restored the body. A few weeks later I sustained $12 000 worth of body damage from a hail storm. My car was insured for the value of the car which at that time was $34,000 so my insure company didn't hesitate to send the car back into the same auto body shop. They found new hood but it was the last one in the USA from what they told me. So I don't know what your insurance company has to say about the repairs.......you could always buy it back and sell out parts off the car, but that is a pain to remove parts off the car and sell them.....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Glad I didnt crash this hard

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Registered
39 Posts
My bro crashed his 2jz mk3 exactly the same. Literally word for word, except it ended up hitting a tree. Glad you’re ok, and keep the car

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looks like insurance company is not claiming total loss. They sent me an estimate of repair of @$20k. That cost includes a lot of parts I had replaced with upgrades. I still have the USDM headlight assy, the stock SMIC, and stock lip. Amazing the bumper covers are available through the cheapo re manufacturer path.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wow good to hear what insurance company do you have? It looks totaled especially with the quarter panel damage.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
536 Posts
In 2012 my 2002 4Runner 4wd got stolen. I had owned it new @$31K in 2002, and insured with AAA. I got it back 2 weeks later.

Long story short, AAA was going to total it only because of certain things missing and or damaged (which really wasn't a whole lot). Everything was sound mechanically and body wise. They agreed to cut me a check for $9K, and then I bought it back from them for $3200.

My wife still drives it daily, keeping the miles off her 330 convertible. It currently has 283K miles on it and runs perfectly. There is a salvage title, but to the earlier point I'm not interested in selling it so that's irrelevant now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm at the stage of finding a body shop to do the work on car. I have had one suggestion of Queen city in Redmond Wa.
I have my guy Toyland Auto restoration in Longview Wa. . Anyone else have any suggestions? both Queen city and Toyland are really busy

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Paul Khano can help
Paul Khano? Who and where?

Body shop is really stacking up the estimate costs now. Up to $42 K now . If that gets turned into insurance, pretty much total loss.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well coming down to decision time. Body shop came back with an estimate of $45000 to rebuild. Some of the things they want to do are way overblown. Looked at the Supra collision repair manual.
Bodyshop estimate was sent to insurance. Insurance is sending out an estimator. Only frame damage is front part of frame rails. Collision manual states those can be replaced . Body shop wants to replace frame rails all the way back to fire wall.
After insurance decides what to do (total loss or not), If not well then I will get it rebuilt, If total loss then I get best pay off from insurance, buy crashed tt back and then sell it with everything related to car in garage. Package deal.No part outs. Bring a trailer and truck for everything.
I dont want to drop a bunch of cash rebuilding it. I may change my mind . It was and can still be a solid car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well coming down to decision time. Body shop came back with an estimate of $45000 to rebuild. Some of the things they want to do are way overblown. Looked at the Supra collision repair manual.
Bodyshop estimate was sent to insurance. Insurance is sending out an estimator. Only frame damage is front part of frame rails. Collision manual states those can be replaced . Body shop wants to replace frame rails all the way back to fire wall.
After insurance decides what to do (total loss or not), If not well then I will get it rebuilt, If total loss then I get best pay off from insurance, buy crashed tt back and then sell it with everything related to car in garage. Package deal.No part outs. Bring a trailer and truck for everything.
I dont want to drop a bunch of cash rebuilding it. I may change my mind . It was and can still be a solid car.
Sorry to hear about the accident. If you decide to sell the wrecked car I would be interested in the full package deal with the trailer. I’m from Spokane and I have a RHD but would really like to get into a LHD targa.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sorry to hear about the accident. If you decide to sell the wrecked car I would be interested in the full package deal with the trailer. I’m from Spokane and I have a RHD but would really like to get into a LHD targa.
Well, I have already started obtaining parts for rebuild. I have committed myself to this. So I'm not in the market to sell anymore.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts