Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how to google, I'm just asking if anyone has any reputable and respectable companies/shops to go through.

My friend just bought a fresh jdm 7m for his 88 fresh with nice toasty valves and all. I'd enjoy your help avoiding that if you could be troubled :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont do japanese damestic motors :O and did u buy a supra jeremy?
Oh heya, imagine seeing you here.

I'm thinking about it, I know a guy who met a guy with one that'd be perfect for a remanned/rebuilt swap. I want to have a motor out so I can do all the machine shop MHG business.

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
Buying a JDM engine is not a bad idea... its hit or miss. But if you plan on building it as soon as you get the engine, then go for it.

Put it on a engine stand, pull the head off and send it to the machine shop and check the cylinder walls for the cross hatches. Or just tear it down completely and rebuild from scratch with new bearings, rings, gaskets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See I don't know if I'd want that or not. A grand isn't bad, but I don't know if it'd be worth it with the whopping 30 very limited warranty.

Buying a JDM engine is not a bad idea... its hit or miss. But if you plan on building it as soon as you get the engine, then go for it.

Put it on a engine stand, pull the head off and send it to the machine shop and check the cylinder walls for the cross hatches. Or just tear it down completely and rebuild from scratch with new bearings, rings, gaskets.
I want to do it this way, just because I'd like to know it's all good and strait. Would it be worth it to have the block deck surfaced as well?

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
See I don't know if I'd want that or not. A grand isn't bad, but I don't know if it'd be worth it with the whopping 30 very limited warranty.

I want to do it this way, just because I'd like to know it's all good and strait. Would it be worth it to have the block deck surfaced as well?
Yes. You want to make sure the block and head are perfectly flat. That will lessen the chance of blowing the headgasket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. You want to make sure the block and head are perfectly flat. That will lessen the chance of blowing the headgasket.
That's what I was thinking, but all the "import" kids around here have been saying the if the head is dealt with then I don't need to worry about the deck.

I'm not to experienced in playing with boost, I know the principles and everything, but this will be my first car with it so I want to ask all the idiot questions so I don't have to post the "I'm an idiot because I...." thread.

·
7m love... dont hate.
2,571 Posts
BOTH the block and head needs to be straight. if the block is warped your going to blow the head gasket. its like that on any motor.

by "import" do you mean Honda kids? if so don't listen to a word they say.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BOTH the block and head needs to be straight. if the block is warped your going to blow the head gasket. its like that on any motor.

by "import" do you mean Honda kids? if so don't listen to a word they say.
I try not to :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Jasper motor looks like a great starting point.

I'm strongly wondering about whether or not to buy one there or do it myself.

Anyone know roughly around what neighborhood an average DIY rebuild and basic machine work would cost?

·
Supra Dead Head
573 Posts
I re-built my block for about $500 all stock. But i did everything my self with the help from an experienced builder.

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
I re-built my block for about $500 all stock. But i did everything my self with the help from an experienced builder.
Any machine shop work?

Because that alone will run about $500 with honing, decking and cleaning.

·
Supra Dead Head
573 Posts
Any machine shop work?

Because that alone will run about $500 with honing, decking and cleaning.
The head no thats where i fucked up, But i did end having it machined for $125

The block i was shown how to cross hatch the cylinders so i did it myself. And i used a straight edge to make use it was flat.

i have never paid a wholesale price for anything thats on my car. done it all my self thanks to family shop connections..

its kinda why i have much love for my GE my first complete rebuild engine. its pride in doing it all your self.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
to muchi thinki had around 2 grand in my rebuild.
What all did you do?

The head no thats where i fucked up, But i did end having it machined for $125

The block i was shown how to cross hatch the cylinders so i did it myself. And i used a straight edge to make use it was flat.

i have never paid a wholesale price for anything thats on my car. done it all my self thanks to family shop connections..

its kinda why i have much love for my GE my first complete rebuild engine. its pride in doing it all your self.
Then why the hell did you post up your rebuild total? Not trying to be a dick or anything, but that's a completely useless figure to pretty much everyone.

·
Registered
434 Posts
What all did you do?

well here is a list of everything i did to the car but ya , that was not alll 2 grand, just the motor parts stuff. all bearings
piston rings
gaskets (every gasket on the engine)
honing, hot tank, ect...
high heat paint
brass freeze plugs
Greddy metal head gasket
good stock cams
radiator hose
blue vacuum hose
belts (3 of them)
timing belt
head work (3 angle valve job)
ported and polished intake & head, matchport gaskets
vsv switch
new air flow meter
clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, ect...
rotors slotted and cross drilled
brake pads
ngk spark plugs
tranny fluid mobil one
anitfreeze
motor oil mobil one
walbro fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel pump strainer
engine polishing
H&R lowering springs
HKS blow of valve
Apexi intake
HKS turbo timer

·
Supra Dead Head
573 Posts
What all did you do?

Then why the hell did you post up your rebuild total? Not trying to be a dick or anything, but that's a completely useless figure to pretty much everyone.
I dunno just to give you an idea of how much it could cost you if you learned to do it yourself.
i paid a retail price for the rebuild kit it was on ebay,just did all the work myself. iam just trying to explain to you that its kinda easy to rebuild it rather then spend 2-3 g's

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dunno just to give you an idea of how much it could cost you if you learned to do it yourself.
i paid a retail price for the rebuild kit it was on ebay,just did all the work myself. iam just trying to explain to you that its kinda easy to rebuild it rather then spend 2-3 g's
Oh okay. In your earlier post you made it sound like the whole thing was done through hook ups and connections.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts