Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My engine pings after cleaning the combustion chambers, retarding base timing, driving with base timing, getting new plugs and checking the gaps, checking for good spark on all cylinders, etc. The bitch pings like hell in third gear and I don't know how to make it stop.

Any ideas before I go get ass-raped by the dealer??

Possible bad fuel filter, O2 sensor, ?? No CE light.

This is an NA.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Supras come with 2 nock sensors located on the block, one near the front and one towards the rear on the side where the starters at(driver side). It will probably the one towards the rear(You will need to remove the starter to get to this one). The toyota car manual tells you how to check them. There not to cheap! (I think about $90.00). There are two different kinds (denso & M.....) don't be fooled by what the rest of the parts on your car are, this one may be oppisite. The good news is that I think they boths preform the same funtion.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a common problem for knock sensors to go out?

Since I tried driving the car with retarded timing and the computer bypassed, wouldn't that eliminate the knock sensors?

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
knock sensors dont usually go out unless they see severe knock....and even at that rate, you would certainly get an error code. Sounds more like the timing is way WAY off and the engine is knocking once is sees heavy load.....you sure you didn't advance the timing rather than retarding it? You sure you put in the correct heat range plugs?

-Mike

Slasher48 said:
Is it a common problem for knock sensors to go out?

Since I tried driving the car with retarded timing and the computer bypassed, wouldn't that eliminate the knock sensors?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plugs were listed for this car, and I checked the gaps. It pinged with the platinums and still pings with the copper plugs.

Timing was set to 5 deg BTDC instead of 10 deg. I tried driving w/ the base timing set to 5 deg, with the computer bypassed, and with base timing at 10 deg. It pings every time.

Could a worn cap and rotor or plug wires cause this?

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
check your fuel filter. i think thats your problem. i have sort of a similair problem it doesnt knock it just starts gasping at high revs in 3rd gear. it sound like its starving for fuel.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O2 sensor reads .93v at WOT. Seems to be getting fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts