Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I know what all you might think...: Clutch chatter! I know what clutch chatter is but this is something different....

When I drive the car in lover rpm`s vhere the engine struggle to move the car forward I can here weird noises - scratching, rattle or chatter or whatever... it`s form around 1500-2500 in all gears, And it sound BAAAD.

When the engine/trans is cold I can barely hear the sound but it seems to me it get stronger the warmer it gets. I had a friend standing under my car when the car was up in the air, and he could not hear anything wrong from the bell housing/clutch, but inside the tranny...most likely. But when the car was up in the air we did not hear the scratching sound on the RPM`s mentioned above...

What can this be? I have talked to people with the same clutch and they do not hear the sound when car is driving, only when stand still - pedal pressed/depress... the normal chatter...

What I started thinking of today was that I took of the front piece of the driveshaft, and when I installed the driveshaft, i just put it on... is that what makes the vibrations? The driveshaft is balanced so maybe I need to take it off and turn it and then install it on the spline again? Can it be this easy?

Please chime in if there are others out there that had the same problems.

The clutch is a SPEC Super Twin, 6 pucks one sprung and one unsprung!

Spec said this in a mail:

Remember when you reduce the overall mass you can see some resonance. This is normal and can be heard during deceleration, high load-lower RPM acceleration, and as gear noise at idle.

BUT it can`t be this loud... When I drive down town it sound BAAAAD between houses..BAAD

Fred

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
honestly it still sounds like chatter.

i instantly formed my opinion when you said it gets worse as it warms up.

my clutch is silent until it warms up (13 lb flywheel) then it starts to get crazy loud and sound like rodknock or an engine part about to fall off.

but it also chatters and sounds like grinding metal slapping at around 1-2k rpm
like when i launch... or driving through parking lots. it sounds really bad at low rpm under load

it also sounds like a tin can full of rocks when decelerating from high rpm
around 5k-6500 rpm its the worst

and its pretty silent from 2k-2500rpm all the way to redline under load

but mine isnt terribly loud at low rpm under load. it sounds kind of similar at idle as it does at low rpm for me. just some scary rattling sounds. (like the flywheel is hanging on by 2 bolts)
people walking down the street probably think my car is broken... so your not alone if thats what your describing

my friend has a multi plate clutch in his skyline and when he launches it sounds like his exhaust is scraping on the ground. so maybe yours is making that sound.
if so thats normal too... but it does sound very bad like metal scraping against the ground. or like a metal spatula in a cast iron skillet.

if you can link a video it may help alot

·
Band on the Run
1,047 Posts
damn this sounds like an issue I am having with my car, I thought my exhaust was rusted out (cause it was like 12 years old) so I bought a greddy 4 inch and I still have the sound, it sounds like some rocks rattling in a can or the exhaust is scraping badly. It sucks cause if I floor it I dont hear the sound, but I am extremely timid with the gas pedal and clutch so I usually hear the sound it sucks because im assuming people think the car is broken.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
To me it sounds like what is being described in the first post is gear rattle. If you have a LWFW or if the stock dual mass flywheel is no longer functioning properly, you will hear quite a lot of gear rattle from the Getrag trans. It's normal for the Getrag, which is actually "infamous" for such gear rattle. It's a great tranny, but that's one of its quirks. The stock dual mass flywheel is specifically designed to dampen out most of these gear rattles by absorbing most drivetrain resonances so if you don't have it or it isn't functioning properly, you hear the rattling under certain load conditions.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Hmm, that`s sick! I have had lightened flywheels many times... last year I had a RPS CYN R G flywheel together with a WOTM clutch and I could hear my granpa fart in det coffin, it was quiet... but now with the Spec super twin it sounds crazy.... That`s why I started wondering...

I have to get used to people look weird at me when I passes them then... :-/

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
Hmm, that`s sick! I have had lightened flywheels many times... last year I had a RPS CYN R G flywheel together with a WOTM clutch and I could hear my granpa fart in det coffin, it was quiet... but now with the Spec super twin it sounds crazy.... That`s why I started wondering...

I have to get used to people look weird at me when I passes them then... :-/
the flywheel on your new clutch is most likely lighter. the RPS CYN R G was not all that light of a flywheel. some of the newer multi disc clutches have much lighter flywheels that don't dampen nearly as much.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds exactly like my clutch chatter.

I normally have to keep the rev's past 1.5 to keep from going crazy at stop lights or driving near houses as it echo's really bad.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Ok, well, then I just have to live with it..damn it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This sounds exactly like my problem, the gearbox chatter drives me crazy, I hate the sounds and just put the lightweight flywheel in less than 500 miles ago, Im probably going to buy the stock flywheel and just put it in, to bad it cost 600 for install and 500 for the flywheel, but I cant stand that sound, has anyone else switched back? and did it fix it? also, what gear oil do you guys use, the master mechanic said the mobil one they use will work but i wasnt sure about that, should I only use v160 oil or will royal purple work?

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's what happen with aftermarket clutch, its better off with OEM if you're not planning to go with big horse power.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yep, sounds like mine... always refreshing to hear everyone have the same noises coming from their car though, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate to dig up an old thread but has anyone had a failure from this?

Just converted from Automatic to Manual with a w58

Flywheel was Oem Toyota in good enough shape to not require resurface

Clutch was a stage-3 6 puck which was nearly brand new (not even out of break in period)

Pilot bearing and Throw-out bearing are brand new.

I have no experience with aftermarket clutches. The car drives fine fine, however I'm having the following symptoms

Very faint chatter in neutral with the clutch engaged. Goes away when the clutch is disengaged.

Same chatter is heard when driving through all gears. While coasting and accelerating it is only heard when I'm around buildings that can bounce the sound around. During deceleration (Downshifts) its louder (loud enough to hear it without being around buildings).

I drove the car for an hour last night and there was no change in drivability or volume of the noise

·
Registered
339 Posts
"Clutch was a 6 puck" "new pilot and TOB".....

What brand clutch disc, pp, tob, and pb?

Also doesn't appear to need flywheel resurfacing and resurfaced/new flywheel is gap that can lead to weird noises 🤔. It's not just the flatness of the flywheel, the machining leaves a roughness for bedding in the new disc.

All IMO of course since I have no training in mechanics

·
Registered
5 Posts
"Clutch was a 6 puck" "new pilot and TOB".....

What brand clutch disc, pp, tob, and pb?

Also doesn't appear to need flywheel resurfacing and resurfaced/new flywheel is gap that can lead to weird noises 🤔. It's not just the flatness of the flywheel, the machining leaves a roughness for bedding in the new disc.

All IMO of course since I have no training in mechanics
-Action Clutch Stage 3 for the W58
-Throwout bearing was the one offered by Driftmotion.

I hadn't considered this with the flywheel. I just inspected it and the surface was consistent. No burnt marks and the surface felt flat to the touch (couldnt feel any marks with my nail).

My only thought is the clutch fork is bouncing around with the clutch engaged (Since it gets louder during deceleration, I figured maybe the inertia is causing the TOB to slide forward and rattle against the pressure plate).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ended up crawling under the car and noticing a loose exhaust clamp which ended up being the source of the noise. My bad for bringing this thread back to life

1 - 17 of 17 Posts