Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished installing a TRD wheel with cruise control and wanted to share this. Thanks to Stu Hagen for his help and also Ryan Hoskins for sharing pictures and info on his installation.

The TRD steering wheels don't come with any provisions for a cruise control. Unfortunately the 93-97 cruise switches will not work. They're just too big to fit inside the TRD wheel. The 98 cruise switch will fit (just barely). The part number is 84630-14130. Cost is ~$100 from Elmhurst Toyota.

Instructions for installing the cruise control:

The first step is to determine where to cut the hole in the plastic
housing that the end of the cruise switch fits through. The hole has to be big enough for the end of the cruise switch mast to fit through it.

Make a template from a piece of cardboard that's just big enough for the end of the cruise switch to fit through. Hold the cardboard to the inside of the housing and eyeball where the hole needs to be based on the mounting tab location. Now tape the cardboard template inside the housing and use a scratch awl to mark where the hole needs to be cut. Use a dremel or other tool of your choice to cut the hole, go slowly and be careful. A file and sandpaper can be used to clean up the rough edges of the hole.

The next step is to to fabricate a bracket for the second mounting hole. Note: Many people have been successful mounting the cruise switch using only 1 of the 2 mounting holes. I felt more comfortable using both holes.

Remove the air bag and the lower plastic housing from the steering wheel. The bottom mounting tab for the lower plastic housing will be used for mounting one side of the switch. An additional bracket can be fabricated for mounting the other side of the switch. I made mine from a small L-bracket found at Home Depot.

Use the rubber gasket from the old cruise switch cover and glue it to the inside of the plastic housing as illustrated in the photo.

Now that you have the cruise switch mounted it's time to modify the plastic air bag wiring cover. There's not enough room to install the air bag without doing some trimming. Note: Use extreme caution when working on the air bag. Remove the plastic cover from the back of the air bag and cut away the area illustrated in the photo.

Make sure that there's enough clearance to depress the horn without hitting the back of the air bag on the top of the cruise switch. You may have to file and trim the mounting tab and cruise switch to get everything to fit well. This was the most time consuming part. Once you're satisfied with the fit install the steering wheel on the car as described in the TRD steering wheel installation FAQ.

Here's the finished product.

·
Stock Twins King
4,546 Posts
Another option to the second bracket is to tap the lower mounting hole for a M6 or M8 bolt. I elected to do that, whereas
Steve went with the 2nd bracket. I find mine holds pretty well with the bolt. You need to do a minor amount of shaving in certain areas to make sure that the cruise switch doesnt hit the air bag once installed. This way it makes for a better *feel* when you depress the horn.

As usual, Steve goes that extra mile to make it absolutely perfect! We worked together on these for 6 hours, and I considered mine done, but Steve came up with the 2nd bracket idea to make it even better. Nice job again, Steve!

Stu

·
Administrator
17,271 Posts
Wow! As always, Steve and his ability over-engineer ANYTHING comes through with a vengeance. Looks fabulous...can't wait to see it in person buddy (yours too Stu!).

Steve T.

·
Registered
659 Posts
i'm doing this mod right now! one of you can kindly explain how to take off the white cover from the back of the airbag? i really don't know how to manage it! :(
thanks guys
(and yes, i'll post pics once finished :) )

·
Premium Member
46,551 Posts
Cosmic Chaos said:
i'm doing this mod right now! one of you can kindly explain how to take off the white cover from the back of the airbag? i really don't know how to manage it! :(
thanks guys
(and yes, i'll post pics once finished :) )
PRY IT OFF!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Curt Aigner said:
PRY IT OFF!
thanks for the advice... but finally i decided to dremel it while mounted. Not risky at all if you have steady hand (i never ever touched the back AB shield once with the power tool :) )

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Bumping an old thread with good info that I used to install mine.

I had a couple hiccups that might be able to be avoided by others doing this mod. The first thing that was left out is that in order to make this work you will need to take the TRD horn pin out of the harness and put it in the same location of the new harness so when you plug it in you won't lose your horn. Also, I see that you were able to trim the translucent white plastic airbag harness retainer bracket (man, that's a long description for such a little expendable piece) but I cut mine and still couldn't quite get the horn/airbag assembly to go back on so I removed it entirely and just paid close attention how I put it all back together so that all the wires and harnesses cleared and it worked fine. Also, when you're cutting the hole in the steering wheel outer housing pay attention to how far back (in relation to the wheel still being on the hub and sitting in front of it) as it needs to go back further then what I thought. If you're looking at the place to be cut from the inside there's a small triangular brace built into the housing right about where you'll be cutting. You'll actually remove about half of that little guy to make the arm clear the housing fully. That should make more sense when you're looking at it. I started cutting my hole in what looked like the center and ended up having to keep moving it back.

Edit: After posting this I reviewed the pictures once again and the picture where the CC switch is mounted using the fabricated bracket shows something that wasn't mentioned that I didn't see until now.... the OP actually trimmed a tab that extends outward from the switch itself at about a 45 degree angle starting from the 9:00 position. It almost looks yellow from the flash and if you look closely you can see where it was trimmed when compared to a new one. I had a feeling this was what was getting in the way but I didn't want to modify the CC switch itself. If I need to take off the steering wheel again for some reason I will probably put that white bracket back in and trim the CC switch now that I verified it functions 100%.

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
I would like to know the same thing as Anthony.....

·
Registered
1993 Anthracite MKIV Turbo 6 speed.
511 Posts
93 stalk

^^^^ Well I have a TRD wheel and apparently the 93 cruise stalk/switch is too big too fit and the wiring is different. I'll be doing the swap next week when my 98 cruise stalk/switch arrives. But if the 93 cruise will fit, and I can figure out the wiring, then I'll send the 98 cruise back to Curt.

·
Registered
773 Posts
^^^^ Well I have a TRD wheel and apparently the 93 cruise stalk/switch is too big too fit and the wiring is different. I'll be doing the swap next week when my 98 cruise stalk/switch arrives. But if the 93 cruise will fit, and I can figure out the wiring, then I'll send the 98 cruise back to Curt.
I'm not certain with the TRD wheel,, but pull if off (3 minute job) and hold your cc stalk against it.
On my celica wheel I used a metal file to remove 3-4mm and 1mm from the stalk itself (rather thick plastic casing):

I don't know about the wireing, but if your wheel isn't specified for CC, you should only have the single wire for the horn. Cut that and use the harness from the cc stalk and just splice the two horn wires.

Check this tread for more TRD info:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87099

·
Registered
511 Posts
trd

I think the TRD wheel is smaller than the 98 and celica wheels. Pulling the wheel and connecting the airbag is easy. Its the c/c and horn that will be the challenge. I'll post up my experience after my attempt next week. If I can get the 93 c/c to fit Ill surely go that route and wire in the horn somehow. Otherwise Ill have the 98 in hand and go that way.

·
Wingless by Choice
1,495 Posts
I've got a used but in great condition 98 cruse control stalk for sale Let me know if any one wants it. $100 shipped.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I bought my TRD wheel off of Mr. Punnany but he's been banned. Are these wheels bunk or what?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
im using a 2001 celica steering wheel, very similar to the TRD and i was able to use my 97 cruise control. you just have to wedge the controller into the new wheel. i did the same thing on my 97 Celica too. ill post pics tonight when i get home.

·
Registered
511 Posts
TRD wheel.

Sounds great. So, you have a 97 Supra? Let me know on the wiring as I have 93.5 Supra and I think the 97 c/c plug is different than the 93's. And on the TRD wheel I have separate yellow wire/plug for the horn.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts