Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the manual link (thanks!), just wonder if anyone's seen this before I start the troubleshooting procedure. Man, there's a ton of shit under that dash to sort thru. BTW, the speedo works. The dash light does not come on when I power up the cruise.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey man!

I know you and the car.

More info on this case is that that the cruise died out then the speedo cable went shortly (couple of months later).

Also, check out the cruise control components. It is possible both probs were not related.

LB

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
maybe he forgot to connect the speed sensor on the back of the cluster? (it's driven by the speedo cable and needed by the cruise control...)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out it was the slip rings in the combination switch, behind the steering wheel. Found it because the horn was intermittent. Hope this helps someone else. To check, remove and rotate steering wheel 180 degrees to get to an unused spot on the slip ring. Now, anyone got a comb. switch for an 89?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
84315-14070

That's the part number for the 89 slipring. It's about $50 retail, not sure if you think it's worth it to get a brand new one. I would, since it will help make sure your horn/cruise works for another 20 years.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
You do if you want to do it properly, it's probably easier that way too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts