Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the weirdest discovery yesterday when trying to hook up the MBC to my turbo... there’s only one nipple on the entire turbo and it’s on the wastegate... I have no other second option to put on the second side of the MBC... where the other nipple would typically be had a bolt in it. The previous owner had this thing setup and it’s been a month since I tore it apart and I have NOT A CLUE where the heck they hooked this thing up!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
ok, where was the wastegate hose connected to in the first place then ?

you can feed the wastegate from any source between the throttle body and turbo outlet. its best at the compressor outlet because its the highest pressure point. back in the day people use to move the wg feed source after the intercooler (bc intercooler dropped a few psi). it was a free upgrade that gave you a tiny bit more boost. and some surging bc you now had a chamber of air (the intercooler/pipes) to compress before the wg moved.

if your running a mechanical boost controller valve thingy my advise would be to put that nipple back into the compressor housing outlet. cheep mbc are inconsistent (been there done that) so be careful !

if you cant find a used nipple, you can hit up an industrial maintenance supply store or a place that builds hydrolic hoses. they stock fittings and would have something barbed with the right metric thread

or that bolt jammed in there may be usa thread and prepped the soft housing for you (stripped/cross threaded it to sae thread..). if so you can get a barbed sae thread brass fitting at any hardware store

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, where was the wastegate hose connected to in the first place then ?

you can feed the wastegate from any source between the throttle body and turbo outlet. its best at the compressor outlet because its the highest pressure point. back in the day people use to move the wg feed source after the intercooler (bc intercooler dropped a few psi). it was a free upgrade that gave you a tiny bit more boost. and some surging bc you now had a chamber of air (the intercooler/pipes) to compress before the wg moved.

if your running a mechanical boost controller valve thingy my advise would be to put that nipple back into the compressor housing outlet. cheep mbc are inconsistent (been there done that) so be careful !

if you cant find a used nipple, you can hit up an industrial maintenance supply store or a place that builds hydrolic hoses. they stock fittings and would have something barbed with the right metric thread

or that bolt jammed in there may be usa thread and prepped the soft housing for you (stripped/cross threaded it to sae thread..). if so you can get a barbed sae thread brass fitting at any hardware store
Well here’s some fun news. Got everything together, Started it, went through the whole turbo break in process, right?
Well get this, I’m driving it on the highway, real gentle, just trying to get in the break-in miles.
I do a downshift 5:4, 3500ish RPM, +/-1psi so nothing huge. I throw it back into 5th gear because traffic picks up and All of a sudden it feels like something just gives, car starts to run super rich, tries to die and eventually I pull over and shut it off.
-it starts up, but almost immediately dies unless given gas
-gets into gear, too much gas and it kicks like a mule, running 10:1AF, spooling at +/-0 psi
-eventually get it into 5th gear, full throttle, 10:1, +/-0 PSI, 40 mph.
-no fluid dumps, no audible vacuum leaks, and fires right up.
-I JUST changed the plugs
-it drove 40 miles home this way, check engine light only pops on when it starts kicking or anytime it seems like it ACTUALLY wants to ignite the fuel. Otherwise it just stays off
Whats the deals, y’all. I just got this thing back on the road :( my first inclination was blown compression, but I doubt it. I called up a few L1 certified master techs and they seem pretty convinced it’s nothing huge and probably just a bad ground, or something electric. But why so randomly after being run already for an hour??? Any thoughts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts