Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple extra CT-26's and I was thinking about sending one out for an upgrade. I've heard good and bads about a few trims. What would everyone recommend? And who should I have do it? Thanks guys

Side note: The "gift from God" engine is running like a beast! Thanks for the all the help supra peeps!

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
get a 57 trim and youll be good to go.

general rule of thumb-> the larger the trim/wheel the less life it will have.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
57 Trim wheel bro. That's what I am going for.

·
Registered
184 Posts
it all depends on how much horsepower your trying to make.....and how much you care about longevity vs. peformance

there is a thread in the FAQ section about this....it takes a loonnggg time to read all 300+ posts but its WELL worth it....TONS of great info

·
Registered
184 Posts
but since its a poll...im going to chime in with 57 and maybe a 10 degree clip depending on your goals.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know this sounds hard . . . but I want RELIABLE 380-400 HP. I'm getting a new intercooler this summer and i'll be working on some engine management too.
Will 57 trim and 10 degree clip get me around there with the upgrades mentioned above? (dont forget my long list of other mods)
Who should I send the turbo to?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok . . . you got my attention! what else where you running for the 396hp 427tq?
and it was reliable?

AGAIN, who should I send it to for the upgrade?

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
thats killer power for a mustang dyno

charlie brown at evergreen turbo in ocala fl... u can do a yahoo yellow pages search for the number....he'll match PT' price but do a much better job

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
your power goals are gonna be pushing the ct frame pretty hard unless you are planning on modifying a bunch of other things.

in the long run not too realistic imho.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Modded CT-26s are a crap shoot. Guys who tout no problem always send the newbs into a frenzy.

Good luck.

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
I opted for the 60 trim no clip on mine, and never had a problem with it. I dynoed 325rwhp, 324rwt with only the upgraded CT, 3in catback, intake and AVC-R. There was still a bit of room to play around with.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I went to PT for my 57 trim about a year or so ago. The work was superb and i haven't had a problem with it yet and its driven everyother day. Power-wise, i still haven't gotten it dynoed to be honest.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
thats killer power for a mustang dyno

charlie brown at evergreen turbo in ocala fl... u can do a yahoo yellow pages search for the number....he'll match PT' price but do a much better job
Charlie's number is 1-800-275-2531. I had it sitting on my desk already :)

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
With Chris Jensen's help, my CT-26 was prepped like no other I have ever seen. EVERYTHING was perfect- the word meticulous, an insufficient adjective.

Chris' full writeup:
http://cjsupra.kendra.com/CT26coat.html

After ~1.5 yrs in srvc @ mostly 0.85 Kg/cm^2 [~12.5psi], the turbo was removed, because I'd decided to do the full monty TO-4E setup. In that short space of time w/the CT, and under less-than-strenuous utilization, the WG had manifested cracking. Minor, but still cracking.

For those who don't know, cracking CT WGs are more prevalent than BHG. I discovered this factoid after-the-fact, but now consider myself educated. Many will underplay the significance of the cracking WG issue in CTs, and for the most part, they are correct...cracks normally don't hinder the turbo's performance. I, myself, however, consider cracking to be unacceptable; and I would never do another modded CT-26. If you happen to be someone who feels that the cracking is insignificant & OK, let's agree to disagree.

Take care.

·
Registered
747 Posts
ok . . . you got my attention! what else where you running for the 396hp 427tq?
and it was reliabe?
Let me tell you LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of head work was the key to this, Toyota oversized coated pistions, re-worked the rods for the block. 3 1/2 exhaust from turbo back(no elbow) fmic, port matched the intake manifold, port matched the exhaust manifold. And the other fuel upgrades you would need to support 500hp. This was at 18.5 lbs and 100 oct pump gas.

And for knowlege my car 3 years ago with stock turbo(no upgrade trim) and stock fuel, stock ECU dynoed on the same Mustang Dyno 284 hp and 322 tq to the wheels.

·
Registered
184 Posts
With Chris Jensen's help, my CT-26 was prepped like no other I have ever seen. EVERYTHING was perfect- the word meticulous, an insufficient adjective.

Chris' full writeup:
http://cjsupra.kendra.com/CT26coat.html

After ~1.5 yrs in srvc @ mostly 0.85 Kg/cm^2 [~12.5psi], the turbo was removed, because I'd decided to do the full monty TO-4E setup. In that short space of time w/the CT, and under less-than-strenuous utilization, the WG had manifested cracking. Minor, but still cracking.

For those who don't know, cracking CT WGs are more prevalent than BHG. I discovered this factoid after-the-fact, but now consider myself educated. Many will underplay the significance of the cracking WG issue in CTs, and for the most part, they are correct...cracks normally don't hinder the turbo's performance. I, myself, however, consider cracking to be unacceptable; and I would never do another modded CT-26. If you happen to be someone who feels that the cracking is insignificant & OK, let's agree to disagree.

Take care.
in the last few sentences of his writeup that you linked to....he says that clipping gains you low end at the expense of losing high end...i always thought it was the exact oppisite?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
it's the opposite...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts