Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I’m a (new) 1987 Supra owner, I’ve had it about a year and a half now, I’m doing some work through the winter and found my turbo has some unwanted play.
I’m new to the turbocharged car scene, don’t know huge amounts about turbos but enough to know mine needs to be replaced or rebuilt.
Of course I could order up the cheapest EBay turbo and get by for 3 weeks, but I’d like something more reliable.
Im located in Ontario, Canada, and can pay to ship one here. Where have people had the best luck? am I looking for the driftmotion turbo? Or is there a better place to go?
If cost ends up being closer to 900$ Canadian I’ll be having this one rebuilt by a reputable shop in the area.

·
Registered
751 Posts
A quality rebuild on the OEM turbo is the best and most affordable option. Driftmotion and The Boost Lab are the 2 I would personally recommend. If you have a reputable shop somewhat locally that would be good too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
rebuild eh? lots of directions to go, really based on what you need/are willing to put into it

as someone that rebuilt my own turbo, I would say most diesel shops with a good reputation could easily open up a ct26 and refresh the bearings/seals. they could also install upgraded parts and balance it.

while your in there why not....

1. upgrade the thrust bearing/ and or rebuild components. driftmotion, ebay, other sell an improved design thrust bearing. this is good for turning up the boost and not trashing a fresh rebuild

2. upgrade the compressor. 2020 and there are now many ways to do this

a)billet wheel that fits in the oem housing ($50 on up, cheep option)
b)larger wheel and matching compressor housing. I went this route with a billet mamba wheel/housing
c) or larger compressor wheel and competent shop to mill out oem housing. again many larger cnc billet wheels with different designs (3071 clones, 11 blade, extended tip, etc)

3. upgrade the exhaust turbine-- mamba makes on that fits oem housing but is lighter, 1 less turbine blade

other sell a ship it in rebuild service

and of course there are new bolt on turbo's $500 cx racing on up to $1800 sound performance precision turbo etc

·
Registered
630 Posts
there is a mamba thread here:

I posted there when I rebuit my turbo in my garage (home brew...).

I have the larger wheel (billet 11 blade 56 trim) and mamba cover
fitment was not exactly bolt up...

no issues this summer with the rebuild. does not blow oil, no shaft play yet. I check it all the time because I did a dirty rebuild ...aka I did not balance the entire assembly. I bolted an individually balanced comp wheel on the oem shaft.

Some day I have plans to take it apart and install the better turbine shaft from mamba. prob another season or 2 before I open it back up and do that though. car needs more tire/clutch/injectors before its limited by the upgraded turbo (on oem exhaust side).

the turbo does spool slightly slower than the oem ct26. the compressor wheel may be lighter, but it carries its mass more on the outside (way larger diameter)...and also has a lot more surface area so it slows spool up. before I upgraded the turbo I had a hard time keeping it off fuel cut around 3400 rpm because I could easily be at 12-14 lbs. im running an electric boost controller with spool mode. with the new turbo I can't hit 12 psi until later, maybe 4k rpm or so. but the upgraded compressor pulls so much more up top and holds boost / builds it at redline. I get the impression im saturating the stock exhaust turbine/ wastegate because I can't seem to tame it down above 5k rpm. it just wants to boost 14 psi+. I had envisioned a low and high boost mode but that only seems to work below 5k rpm with the upgrade

1 - 5 of 5 Posts