Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering.

I have already earned my stripes and been indoctrinated with the BHG experience after 5 months of MKIII ownership. And I have already spent my first $4500+++ on a ground up rebuild WITH an HKS Metal "stopper" gasket and ARP bolts on a rebored, plained and polished block & Head as well as new vavles and all internals save the crank. I didn't want any excuses for going threw it again.

Now.. That said.

Has anyone here experienced a post MHG & ARP upgrade BHG on a Stock, Mild or well moded (under 350HO) MKIII? Not including those guys who seek over 400HP or extreme setups for drag racing!

I just want to get her to 325HP or so without risking another BHG so I can focus on doing the fun mods and still driver her daily(8 to 9 months a year)

I'd be interested in if anyone has used the copper type gaskets, HKS (like mine) or other brands.

THX!

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
A properly prepared head and block will never blow a MHG until you push stupid amounts of detonation/power through. FYI stock head gasket and head bolts will hold 325rwhp no prob if you control detonation and retorque the head bolts. I've been running both stock ~20psi since last year, no probs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Bishop!

So then the MHG & ARP's are a permantent solution for this most frequent of problems then? So Why isn't everyone doing it then?
I found out about it here after only a few days of hunting around when I was doing my rebuild.

I was still having persistant problems with the stock clutch fan.
I've replaced 3 so far. The last time, I opened one that seized and removed all the newtonian oil and put it in another unit(added to it's own to double the volume) and so far it's working fine.

So has anyone been able to convince Toyota yet that the problem ultimately leads back to under filled clutch fan oil and the heat produced by the double cats??

P.S.>>>

I love that pic of your ride at dusk!
Which year of MKIV rims are those... I WANT!!!!
They'd look "SPANKY" on my Midnight Blue MKIII after I get the paint redone with a pearl glaze mixed in.

·
Registered
535 Posts
LJM61 said:
Hi Bishop!

So then the MHG & ARP's are a permantent solution for this most frequent problems then? So Why isn't everyone doing it then?

P.S.>>>

I love that pic of your ride at dusk!
Which year of MKIV rims are those... I WANT!!!!
They'd look "SPANKY" on my Midnight Blue MKIII after I get the paint redone with a pearl glaze mixed in.
Yes a MHG and ARP's are very strong and should hold up to whatever you have to throw at it ...if done right. I would say most knowledge MkIII owners do go with MHG and ARP's if they have a BHG...otherwise, why fix something thats not broken. Most just fix it (retorque stock HG) before it becomes a problem. The prep work for a MHG is also more expensive then going with a normal graphite gasket and the price of the MHG and ARP's is what turns some people away.

Bishop's rims are from a TT MKIV any year.

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
damn son, you need to lower than thang!!! :D
YEEEHAWWWW, me n cheez is goin 4x4in, whos comin?!?!
sorry, its late and I'm feelin a little goofy.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
93anthracite said:
damn son, you need to lower than thang!!! :D
YEEEHAWWWW, me n cheez is goin 4x4in, whos comin?!?!
sorry, its late and I'm feelin a little goofy.
\

i hear that. looking at bishop's and then mine... wow. not doing any major work until i have a daily driver and can spend time (and the cash!) on the supra.

oh yeah, my driveway is like a 15 degree angle, so that's why the front end appears higher than normal.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
wow another teal. ive only seen one in person. that and 92's arent that common anyway. ive always thought that dark green would be really cool to have.
oh yeah headgasket. detonation is what kills them. mhg will withstand more detonation than a stocker, but they can still be killed. prep it right, torque it right, control detonation. no worries.
dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Woooossshhh said:
bhg here... hks 1.2mm with arp's..... 9k miles.....
As I recall, you did not have the block machined to the specified RA, 'nor did you have the head done properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
u must be thinking os someone esle...... well defcon put it in.. they claimed they did it right.... who knows...

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
if the head isn't machined correctly, or installation isn't done correctly, there is a good chance you will get another BHG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts