Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my old supra a while ago, and the kid that bought it ended up bottoming out in a construction zone and destroying the car. They are fighting with the insurance company as they are only being offered $7k for the car, it was an n/a. They are being told that kelleys blue book value is the current value and you can get another supra for that price. The kids mother asked me to do some research to see what the current market value is. It also had trd exhaust, custom stereo, rims, tires, etc. 100k on it. Any info would be helpful

·
93 Hardtopper
834 Posts
I would say that the insurance company is right...kelley blue book does market research to get values on cars...suprastore.com has a disclaimer telling the kkb increased the value of the cars due to demand...if someone bought a car for what they thought it was worth and it was above the kbb value the insurance doesn't care... as for after market parts the only ones that i have had them ever replace was a brush guard on my expedition, they said it was to increase saftey... performance parts are not insurance company freindly...sorry but i think he is screwed on this one....as for the stereo ...rip it out and sell it insuarnce definatley will not give u money for that unless it was stolen and u have every receipt.

·
93 Hardtopper
834 Posts
I dont think the stereo would be covered unless they took out a policy that included it...the insurance company decides what the car is worth by kbb the second b4 the crash happened...mods are not oem thats all they care about

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
That should be about right unless you are talking about hardcore stereo/body/interior modifications..........I don't think the NA would be worth a whole lot, you might get better insight in the NA section

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
xsentrixsupra said:
Whoa Cheech......put down the pipe.........7k for an MKIII???? :scratch:
Sounds about as reasonable as 7k for a mkiv. The MKIV according to KBB is worth 11-12k and the MKIII 3-4k. Both of them are about 3-4k off. Either one sounds odd.

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
fair market value goes on numerous things. Cars current condition, mileage, and replacement value. A NA mkiv doesnt bring near as much as a turbo model. My buddy totaled his 94 TT qith 118k and they gave him $20,300. I saw the check and the price was adjusted $2600 for replacement cost/ demand. An NA doesnt have the same demand so that extra wouldnt apply. I would say the numbers are off only if the car is exceptionally clean.
I think they are just lowballing. Tell him to argue and he will get 9k.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
nonturbo said:
Sounds about as reasonable as 7k for a mkiv. The MKIV according to KBB is worth 11-12k and the MKIII 3-4k. Both of them are about 3-4k off. Either one sounds odd.
The average MKIII does -NOT- go for 7k.......do you even have your driver's license yet?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Most respectable insurance companies will look at:

-KBB or NADA book value.
-2 or 3 local newspaper ads for an identical car, identical features
-2 or 3 online ads of an identical car, identical features (especially when they cannot find identical newspaper ads.

Go online, locate and find the three closest non-turbo Supras, with mileage approx. +/- 10k miles. Print them out and bring/fax the documents to them. If you are firm but respectful they will often give you that price. If they think you're trying to gouge them they'll ignore you.

The other option is to ask them to buy you the replacement car. It is a good last resort tactic if they will not budge. That way you are politely asking them "if my car is only worth 7k, then please take that 7k and buy a same year/mileage Supra for me". This is a possibility even if you had a loan on the old car, as most banks will allow you to transfer the new car as collateral for the loan.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
I got screwed once when I busted my sideskirts and exhaust the same way in my NA. If the extras weren't reported to the insurance company as additions they don't give a shit about them. If you weren't paying a higher premium to cover it they aren't gonna pay out for it. I got more money saying that my stock radio was stolen than a pioneer premier DEH-p940. Tell me how the stock piece is better than a 55W x 4 organic el premier system. Thats insurance for you. Here's what I say to them....
:finger:

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
Idk, 7k seems low to me.

Joe

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
xsentrixsupra said:
The average MKIII does -NOT- go for 7k.......do you even have your driver's license yet?
I never stated the MKIII goes for 7k. I said it goes for 3-4k and getting 7k for a mkiv sounds about as reasonable as getting 7k for a MKIII, considering both are off by about 3k. Let me reword this. An n/a 93-94 MKIV with 111k mileage on KBB says 11-12k. On the MKIII it says 3-4k. So 7k is off for either car. It's about 3-4k difference with each one. Wether it's a MKIII or a MKIV the insurance company is off if they go by KBB. I don't have my drivers license, but what does that have anything to do with the thread?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well if 7k is replacement "market value" for a MKIV..somebody let me know where I can get some of those at that price..so I can resell them.. I know Ican get at least 11k for them

Tell that to your insurance company... tell them to find you a mkiv in similar condition to yours for that price and settle it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts