Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a mig welder for a short while and was considering making something for my intake. Cover/heat shield or a pipe to move the filter into the bumper more(through the hole). What do you guys think whould be better? I'm leaning towards the pipe 'cause I'm not sure how well I'd do at the heat shield or how much it would actually help.

If anyone has pics of custom intake pipes or heat shields please post 'em. Any input would be great. Thanks, LuMpY

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,129 Posts
I've made these thermal boxes before.

Don't just start making it w/o proper thought... I did, and the first ones never looked right :D.

I say go with your idea on the piping, that's a little easier, and more practical.

Just clean the filter more often.

-Brent

Nick has some pictures of his.
supranick.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
i did the box idea and took metal and inclosed the air filter in from the rest of the engine bay. then i took the stock snorkle off the stock intake filter. and slipped it into place were it was stock. sort of the idea of yours but yours will work a hell of alot better than mine.

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Yea, I'd go with the relocated filter. Overall the air will be cooler that the box. Easier to fab too. Just don't go mud bogging or anything with it.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
id just do a heat shield but if u were going to relocate it why not put it below the pass side headlight? theres a small dead space there and its pretty well shielded from the elements. would be a bitch to clean though and it might require the removal of the headlight to clean easily

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
MK3Brent said:

Nick has some pictures of his.
supranick.

i just spent 40 mins trying to find the pics of my setup! GRRRRR!!!!!! i dunno why they have escaped my computer! and sadly the links that had them dont exist anymore! pics were posted only 5 months ago! :(

anyone got pics of my custom intake setup that they saved for refrence? :p id go out and take a pic now ... but i changed my intake temporarily and is not like before!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I saved a few pics of your intake setup for reference when you posted them a while back. Very nice setup, and I really like the paint on it.

I cant get the pics to appear, and I use image station which sucks for hosting. Nick, if you want to shoot me your email in a PM I will be glad to send you the two pics I have saved.

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
I bought a SS 3inch x 45 degree mandrel bend from J.C.Whitney and went from there. The cool thing about it is you can really hear the intake when you spool up.

3,796 Posts
Wow....Looks good man. Got any pics of it installed Rajunz?

·
Registered
335 Posts
what do i see attach at the end of the plastic or the begining of the CAI???
is that duct tape i see!!!
still a nice setup anyways Rajunz

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
that looks good lance!
i had considered the same idea for a while. right now i have my ic pipe coming thru there tho. i could prob make the hole bigger and fit it thru there. only prob is id imagine it would get a lot more dirty and quicker too. besides possibly being a pain to take apart and clean. i may come up with something similar but that whole corner of my engine is kinda cramped.

dave

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
supraNa1990 said:
what do i see attach at the end of the plastic or the begining of the CAI???
is that duct tape i see!!!
still a nice setup anyways Rajunz
Nice Try!;) The elbow is screwed onto the CAI with sheetmetal screws and then the connection is covered with a heat shrink sleeve so that it cannot suck in any particals there.
Silver88Turbo said:
Wow....Looks good man. Got any pics of it installed Rajunz?
Can't really see anything on the install, just the SS pipe running through the snorkle opening, the filter fits just under the headlight.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,129 Posts
Nick, I remember saying something about your filter... I was saying something like... "dirt dirt dirt."

hehe, I never like seeing filters near the ground :D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
rajunz, did you at all notice a difference once the air filter started sucking in cold air as opposed to engine bay temp air? also did you notice any negative effects from having an extended length intake?

adam

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts