Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have access to the tools and the knowledge and the time to make a custom welded 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust, but i don't know what angle turns, turn radii, and lengths of piping i need to get the best flow.

fyi... i plan on using this pipe with becauseican's ddp w/flexjoint (which reminds me, if i'm eventually going for just over 400 hp at the wheels***, is the ceramic coating worth the extra bank, or would i be fine without it?) ....... so ....

does anybody have a chart of the lengths with the bends outlined individually? i really don't wanna spend the money on pre-bent ones when i can just go to the local garage and do it myself. any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. for all you flamers -- i tried to do a search on this but the website was being a chatch-bag so i said screw it and posted instead

***as per procedure as outlined in the sticky about mk3 modding for newbs. i want to maintain reliability as i am in college and can't afford to not have a car.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am planning for about 400-500hp out of my car too... i didnt go for the ceramic coatings because im poor... but i wish i would have... You will get much less turbo lag if you keep the heat in the exhaust side of the turbo..

As for the pipes why not just use your stock exhaust to mock it up? All the bends are there you just need to watch clearance issues with the bigger pipe. . If anything you could just measure all the bends off of it...

Everyone says to search for stuff... but everytime i search i find nothing im looking for... i just read like 10 other interesting threads and forget what i was looking for in the first place..

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, for sure. yeah, i'll try to get a look at that pipe and use that for the custom job. while i'm still talking about it, about how much is SS 3" pipe? or even 3.5"? just trying to get some estimates for plain stock for the project. also where could i get it for the least amount of money? any more help would be great.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
you could get a 3" downpipe and then a cutout and have stock exhaust. wish i would have done this isntead. :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Buying prebent may be all you can do. Most mufflers shops can't do mandrel bends so don't waste your pipes at those places.

I bought prebent and fabbed up my fi tubing. I had to buy mandrel bends because like I said, most shops don't do mandrels. Half of the ones I called didn't even know what mandrel meant. Wow.

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the shop my dad is really closely affiliated with has a mandrel bender. just thought i'd let you guys know

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and a little side question while we're at it.... wouldn't having a 3" dp with the stock 2.5"exhaust be a little restrictive?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Having the 2.5" exhaust is restrictive with the 3" dp. You could do the 3 dp now and finish the rest later however.

You are lucky then. The shops around here are dookie.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
I would suggest a pre-bent kit.

However, if you want to do it yourself, You will need 3 45s and about 6 feet of straight pipe depending if you are replacing the cat or not.

3 45s will put the muffler at a slight angle, like HKS, APEXi, etc.

If you want a proper stock style setup with a straight exit muffler, you will need a 45 and 2 90s.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
westonboege said:
You will get much less turbo lag if you keep the heat in the exhaust side of the turbo..
Keeping heat in is great, and your theory is solid, but the difference in spooling characteristics will be negligible between coated and non-coated pipes. The biggest benefit is lower underhood temps and corrosion resistance.

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a cutout? what's that, just a hole in the pipe to let off excess gas?

also with the heat issue under the hood, what kind of heat reduction can you do to the manifold, like wrap and shit like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts