Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I am upgrading my fuel system and at the same time switching to a 3/8" ID (aeroquip soft lines) feed line (larger fuel filter as well). Now, the hardline that goes into the tank through the sending unit is only..umm well I forget what diameter but it is less than -6an (3/8"). So I have some 3/8" hard fuel line and a tube bender and am duplicating the hardline that goes into the tank. Doing the part inside the tank is a piece of cake, but as soon as the line comes out of the sending unit it is supposed to make a sharp 90* bend. Now, with the tube bender 90* bends are a bitch, and they turn out to be very restrictive (crush bent) and often tend to get kinked in the center of the bend radius...

So what I was thinking of doing was duplicating the area that is in the tank but when the tube goes through the sending unit just make it go straight up about an inch or less and stop it there. Then just connecting my new fuel line directly to that so there is no 90* bend in the hard line...Refer to picture if this makes no sense.

So my question is, am I going to have enough clearance between the top of the tank and the chasis to be able to route the line like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
yes, you will have problems fitting the line at the top. when i made that one for mark, it was fine, there weren't any major kinks in it.

i still have an extra line that i made too short by accident, and i'm looking at the main 90 degree bend, and it's pretty mint. are you sure your tube bender is the right one?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, it's the correct one.

I guess I just need to do some more practice making the bends...

Another option is running the soft line right into the tank and onto the walbro. Obviously some kind of sealant will be needed to seal the hole...is this do-able at all?

Fuel cell is not an option.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I drilled out the stock lines and used -6 90 degree bulkhead fittings. They usually come with some sealing washers, or you may need to get them seperately. I had to "massage" the trunk floor slightly for fitment (I wound up with 4 bulkhead fittings in mine).

·
Registered
318 Posts
I took the bulkhead route as well after I got tired of F'g around w/ trying to bend tubing.

Dale H
87T

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are bulkhead fittings? :sadwavey:

·
Registered
318 Posts
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=bulkhead&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

They allow fluids to be passed through panels. Basically you drill a hole, place the fitting through the hole and tighten down a nut (usually sold separately) on the other side. It has an o-ring seal (I can't remember if these are sold seperatly or not) that keeps fluids from leaking around the drilled hole. Once installed, hose ends can be screwed to either end of the fitting. They work very well and come in all shapes and sizes (straight, 45 degree, 90 degree, -6, -8, etc etc). I used a 90 degree -6AN Aeroquip.

Dale H
87T

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ah okay I know what those are, just didnt know the term for them. I have a 90* -6an to 14mm one on my fuel rail. Thanks guys!

So you are running something similar to this?

I will be relocating the fuel filter to inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes. Only mine is just used for the return line. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the tank and used a straight bulkhead fitting. This feeds the Aeromotive external pump I'm running.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool thanks. I had a $15 credit from summit racing so I ordered the fittings I needed.

·
Moo
368 Posts
bulkheads are the way to go. I have two on the top of the fuel pump plate on my car. Didn't have
to mod the trunk floor at all. Twin walbro's whine like mad - nobody wants to race me now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts