Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m seriously considering making my own front lip for my MKIV. I'm leaning towards using aluminum, then painting it black.

I don’t know if I will end up actually using what I build, but it should be a fun way to expend some creative juices before I start this summer semester.

Has anyone on SF tried this before (with or without success)? I would really appreciate any input from the board members.

Wish me luck.

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, im going to try and replicate the paisley(i think its called) style that the WOTM, Titan, and VWR cars have.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Good luck, without the proper equipment, it will not look right, you would need english wheel and assotment of other tools to shape aluminum to fit to the bumper, there are alot of curves and angles, unless you are a TIG welding pro, you can cut the face section ,flange and lower lip that would fold under to give it rigidity and weld all three pieces together, but I don't see it happening

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good luck.. Please post you progress. Im a metalsmith and I also thought of customizing one but Im not finish yet. I think your best bet will be making a mold and using fiberglass. Its alot more friendlier to work with and you wont require to much machinery. If it comes out good you can duplicate it to sell or to replace if you damage the one on your ride.

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck, hope it doesnt look like hammered dogshit.
Ha ha! me too!

i have a buddy who is making a front lip for his GTO, he can give me a hand with the welding if need be.

the more i think about it i think fiberglas might be the way to go, simply because it is more forgiving when it come to wear and tear.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Don't you think it will be bent out of shape the first time you hit something with it?

(trust me, with my front end being as slammed to the grond as it is, my stock lip occasionally gets rammed into parkingblocks and steep driveways etc, but it will bend, scrape and take the beating, then pop right back into shape.)

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^thats why i think fiberglas might be the way to go...

...they again my car is not lowered.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you do start post some pictures. I might, we'll see how summer goes, do carbon fiber from scrach or been thinking about modifying the Greddy's fiberglass wings west style lip.
I agree with everyone else, if you go with metal you'll need atleast a roller and whiz wheel.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am doing something similar but i am doing a rear diffuser. I'm tired of seeing prices in the 1,000 range. I was thinking about creating a Top Secret replica but made out of metal.

My friend owns a machine shop/metal shop and he said he would help me out, all i would need are the measurements of the real one. i think i am going to do something similar but not the same. He said it would run around 300 to 400. Then i would get it anodized black. I think it would look hott.

All i have now are a few models but only made out of cardboard. If i do decided to do it, i will post pics of the progress.

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ please do! the same guy with the GTO make a diffuser fo rhis vette from CF and it looks SWEEET!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts