Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not done yet (top hasn't been fabricated or welded on yet, doing that tomorrow), but the cut and porting (or I should say gutting) of the manifold went well! No offense to SP, but they don't take the time to hand grind everything down. They mill the top open and leave what's left. There is a LOT left if you look. Took me a very long time of grinding with a high power die grinder and 5Hp compressor. DO NOT attempt this with a Dremel. You will kill the poor thing. Then I used a 60 grit sandpaper"fan" (best way I can describe it) on the die grinder, then 120. Finished with some steel wool. Came out smooth to the touch.

I might be willing to do this for others in the future. Thinking of charging about $600, and will need your manifold up front. Turn around time of 3-4 days.

I'll post how it looks when complete tomorrow.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Earlier stage, before grinding and polishing. This is about the stage several other modified intake manifolds just weld a top back on. All of this so far was done just with a mill.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The $30,000 milling machine that was used to mill the top.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's a good shot showing the custom 3/4" thick aluminum plate which was used to hold the manifold perfectly in the mill. It bolts up to 5 different points on the manifold using stock threads.

There is also a programmable mill, so if I did these in volume, we would actually develop a program to cut everything by machine control. Then of course would come the hand grinding. Doing one was exhausting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts