Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
12,491 Posts
dont forget the area for the IAC and dont forget a nice welded bracket for the throttle cable would be nice as well ;)

i wounder what something like this would run?

· Inline6Performance
1,685 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
Was any work/testing done to determine if airflow is equal cylinder-to-cylinder? Seems like most of the manifolds for the in-line 6 that have proven to flow pretty equally utilize a tapered-plenum configuration....
How about the MSP manifold and all pro wheel drive manifolds? They are not tapered. And so is the stock manifold.

Mike

· Registered
428 Posts
what about cost?

· Registered
3,131 Posts
True -- I haven't seen flow testing for those manifolds either. I've kinda, somewhat tested my own stock manifold before (100% stock) and after porting (sawed open, hogged out, and welded back up). I did the testing using individual EGT monitors on each header runner. While I'm the first to point out that the EGT method leaves a good bit to be desired in terms of accuracy, there didn't appear to be any significant amount of flow imbalance up to ~28 PSI. That's contrary to internet wisdom that says the stock manifold has a flow imbalance, but IMO that internet wisdom may be bogus, just as I believe lots of other bits of internet wisdom to be.

On a somewhat related note, I have a avid drag-racing acquaintance here in Florida who about 3 years ago was running a T-88 on a stock long block with 272 cams. He switched to a big Supra shop's prototype "pipe style" intake manifold that used the stock lower runners welded to the pipe, and with some sort of thottle body on it of course (I don't recall what TB he used but I think it was the stocker...). With the switch to the pipe style manifold the car slowed down in both ET and Trap Speed, and broke up on the top end. Troubleshooting revealed nothing wrong with the fuel supply or ignition. He switched back to the stock manifold and the car ran normally again. I say this to say that I am suspecting that the race teams that run the pipe style manifolds do more than just weld runners to any old pipe and slap a throttle body on it.

NUNEZTT said:
How about the MSP manifold and all pro wheel drive manifolds? They are not tapered. And so is the stock manifold.

Mike

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boost Junkie said:
True -- I haven't seen flow testing for those manifolds either. I've kinda, somewhat tested my own stock manifold before (100% stock) and after porting (sawed open, hogged out, and welded back up). I did the testing using individual EGT monitors on each header runner. While I'm the first to point out that the EGT method leaves a good bit to be desired in terms of accuracy, there didn't appear to be any significant amount of flow imbalance up to ~28 PSI. That's contrary to internet wisdom that says the stock manifold has a flow imbalance, but IMO that internet wisdom may be bogus, just as I believe lots of other bits of internet wisdom to be.

On a somewhat related note, I have a avid drag-racing acquaintance here in Florida who about 3 years ago was running a T-88 on a stock long block with 272 cams. He switched to a big Supra shop's prototype "pipe style" intake manifold that used the stock lower runners welded to the pipe, and with some sort of thottle body on it of course (I don't recall what TB he used but I think it was the stocker...). With the switch to the pipe style manifold the car slowed down in both ET and Trap Speed, and broke up on the top end. Troubleshooting revealed nothing wrong with the fuel supply or ignition. He switched back to the stock manifold and the car ran normally again. I say this to say that I am suspecting that the race teams that run the pipe style manifolds do more than just weld runners to any old pipe and slap a throttle body on it.
Very true. The merge between lower runners and main log is very important. You want to make it a smooth transaction as much as possible. Any sharpe edges will kill the flow.
JPI

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.