Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SZ // S2 // Manual
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, what are some of the pros and cons of getting a custom made exhaust system vs a full aftermarket system vs the middle ground of mixing and matching different branded parts for the Supra? What do you do on your Supra?

I've been considering getting a Catback system (Tomei 4" Ti shown in the image as an example) and cutting into it to fit a valve-controlled 3/3.5" muffler. Is it worth cutting into the piping of a branded system like Tomei, or is it better to just get custom piping done with the combined adjustable muffler and a random tip to suit?
The reason for even considering cutting into the Tomei was to try and retain as much of its sound as possible. Tomei just sounds amazing. The muffler has a straight pipe within it which would theoretically keep the end sound very close. The adjustable flap would then obviously kill most of it when toggled.

Would it be better and cheaper to get a full custom made exhaust system with stainless piping, muffler/resonator, and good looking tip? The thought of cutting/welding into an expensive and branded exhaust feels a little sacrilege...

Light Motor vehicle Black Automotive tire Circuit component

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Well, I'm going to be cutting into a beautiful PHR 4" midpipe just behind the flange to the Tomei 4" exhaust in order to fit a Gesi 5" cat. That's in effort to reduce smell (and emissions) as well as muzzle the sound a bit.

The Tomei sounds glorious, but is just a tad too much for put-putting around town. Pulls too many "obnoxious rice-boy" glares.

So personally, so long as it's quality work, why not make it exactly as you want ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wouldn't touch a good branded exhaust in my opinion just as it will effect resale of the exhaust system if you ever wanted to sell it. If you do it just make sure it's a quality job.

·
Registered
SZ // S2 // Manual
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Tomei sounds glorious, but is just a tad too much for put-putting around town. Pulls too many "obnoxious rice-boy" glares.
Exactly my thoughts lol, thus the reason for the planned controllable muffler. Casual driving will be deadened while the occasional pull or meet will be a nice 4" Ti Tomei roar.

I wouldn't touch a good branded exhaust in my opinion just as it will effect resale of the exhaust system if you ever wanted to sell it. If you do it just make sure it's a quality job.
So you would avoid it only for potential resale purposes? That makes sense. I don't have any plans on selling at a later time though. It will hopefully be a permanent exhaust system as it can handle all the power I throw at it, while also being quiet enough to drive with the adjustable muffler (plus its own silencer add-on). I might even get the mid-pipe that comes with it and cut in a highflow cat like @Halfwalker's 5" Gesi. Gotta find a good exhaust welder first, I want them sexy welds :love:

·
Boost Junkie
12,839 Posts
The Tomei is full Titanium so any muffler you use will also need to be Titanium. You'll also need to find a shop familiar with welding Ti, which may be difficult. It's a full 4 inch system. Why would you want to create a restriction by necking it down to 3 or 3.5 inches.

In my opinion, you're better off just getting a different exhaust or having one built. There are roughly 12-15 different exhausts for the MKIV Supra. Let us know what you're after and we can help narrow it down.

Steve

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Your sketch is sketchy- the proposed muffler is positioned right beside the diff. Any good fitting exhaust with good ground clearance has about 4 bends in that general area to avoid various suspension components.

Go to a good muffler shop that does mandrel bends to get a custom setup.

Al

·
Registered
SZ // S2 // Manual
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Steve!

The Tomei is full Titanium so any muffler you use will also need to be Titanium.
Does it NEED to be titanium? I know that there will definitely be a change in the overall sound of the system since it won't be "full ti", but I am expecting a straight bolt-on with a flange (or even a 3" to 4" adapter flange).

Why would you want to create a restriction by necking it down to 3 or 3.5 inches.
I guess that it's not ideal, but I don't mind it and the Varex Muffler systems only go up to 3.5" max (I really want/need a toggleable muffler). It could also be 3.5" piping system to 3.5" muffler. I used 4" Tomei as an example because their website had a nice and clear image that I could edit and because I like the way it sounds. However, I am yet to land on a certain brand/system.

Speaking of going from a 4" to 3.5" and back to 4"... How does this affect the performance?
I assume that the performance side of things is only as good as the most constricted area due to air being forced to eventually narrow down into it... I, of course, have no concrete knowledge on this, so I am only guessing at this point. If you know a thing or two about having different sizes at various points, and how each different combination of different restrictions would affect the performance, then please feel free to enlighten me!

In my opinion, you're better off just getting a different exhaust or having one built. There are roughly 12-15 different exhausts for the MKIV Supra. Let us know what you're after and we can help narrow it down.
That would definitely be of help! I recently started up a thread to both research and create a compilation of the available exhaust systems for the Mk4 that can be found >>> Here <<<. In a nutshell: I am after something that sounds great and has some sporty vibes to it, similar to the video of the 370z (in the spoiler) shown in the first post. However, after watching videos and listening to a bunch of exhausts, I don't think that what I am after exists for the mk4... All of the mk4 exhausts that I have found so far are either sporty and weak, or aggressive and loud. So I have kinda given up on sporty and just moved onto aggressive that I can toggle on and off to not play cat and mouse with the police. But for now, I like the sound of Tomei 4" Ti, ETS 4" Ti, GReddy 4" Ti, HKS 3.5", and the Blitz 3" Nur-Spec sounds alright too (albeit weaker).

How is one built? Do exhaust shops completely fabricate their own piping, bends, mufflers and cats? If I were to get one completely custom made, what price differences would I be looking at over:
1) Fully custom made.
2) Complete aftermarket catback exhaust.
3) Complete aftermarket catback exhaust with an additional muffler and custom cutting and welding to fit the said muffler onto the aftermarket exhaust system.

·
Registered
SZ // S2 // Manual
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Al!

Your sketch is sketchy- the proposed muffler is positioned right beside the diff. Any good fitting exhaust with good ground clearance has about 4 bends in that general area to avoid various suspension components.
Yes, it is the sketchiest of all sketchy sketches! It's just to show the general idea of what I am considering right now. I think the muffler can be placed almost anywhere in the exhaust system that we can fit it, probably after the Cat. It's only located there in the picture for my drawing convenience.

Go to a good muffler shop that does mandrel bends to get a custom setup.
What about pricing comparisons between a custom setup and aftermarket exhaust systems?

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you are worried about emissions just run E85 and put 5 or 6 oz of klotz techniplate in the tank and your exhaust will smell like candy....

The tomei is loud and high pitched. I would add a second muffler on the midpipe in front of the catback connection at a minimum if you want to tame it down some assuming the midpipe isnt titanium too.

I also dont think youll have the space there for that muffler. I have a 4.5-5 inch bullet muffler in that location and it barely fits.

• Wow
Reactions: Vorukanu
1 - 10 of 10 Posts