Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Car is being held ransom.
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been done very many times, but none of them are up to date and recent. I have found some info about which paint to use, but everyone has their preferences. I want to know how it has held up from when you started your project. I am sure many people want to see also. I have been thinking about changing my interior to black, painting everything except for carpet, boots and seats, and door panels. That I would get recovered. How did certain paints work for you? How did they last?

·
stop pulling me over pigs
1,259 Posts
don't do dat. use duct tape, silver interior allll around! chrome bling bling, yo!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Kyle87T said:
I searched and have viewed the 5 pages. I just want to see pictures of it currently, how it has lasted. I am not one to ask questions without searching.

there's even threads that ask how well they hold up, use search!

i used some vinyl paint, over 1 year now, holding well... its all about the prep work

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
i dont think you need priming on interiors.. not that i know of. just clean it real good.

·
1jz-gte motivation
805 Posts
Got the ECU that your looking for dude ^^^^...Lemme know.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Primer = bad on interior. Some of the plastic peices are textured, and the primer fills in the grooves and smooths it out. Unless you primer ALL of the interior evenly it will look off. Best advice I've heard is just clean really well, and scuff up lightly with 2000 or so grit sand paper.

·
Registered
689 Posts
krylon fusion bonds to plastic, so if you put primer between the krylon fusion and plastic it cant do its bonding

·
Registered
934 Posts
bandwagonpilot said:
Primer = bad on interior. Some of the plastic peices are textured, and the primer fills in the grooves and smooths it out. Unless you primer ALL of the interior evenly it will look off. Best advice I've heard is just clean really well, and scuff up lightly with 2000 or so grit sand paper.

that is a good a way to prep it.. i agree

·
Registered
658 Posts
Here is what has to be done (I was the first to color my interior around here)
*********Vinyl********
1...remove vinyl pieces.
2...scrub them clean with soap and water...allow to dry
3...apply vinyl paint in THIN, EVEN coats....allow 10-15 mins of drying time between coats (outside in the sun is best).....test for dryness.
4...reinstall part.

********Plastic*******
1......remove plastic part
2......scrub part with soap and water
3......allow to dry
4......use plastic paint and apply in THIN EVEN coats.....allow 10-15 mins to dry between coats.
5......reinstall parts

********Carpet and Seats**********
Do NOT even try coloring the carpet or nylon seats. They will NOT accept anykind of recoloring. If you want a different color, replace the seats with leather (next section) and the carpet (Ebay is your friend)

********LeatherI*********
One word =Tandy Leather. They have everything you need to recolor your leather.
1. Remove seats or leather parts from car.
2. Remove factory matt finish with proper remover from Tandy Leather
4. Apply Leather conditioner. This will open the poars in the leather and prepare it for the new color. Allow to dry.
5. Apply new color. Allow 20 min between coats. Apply Color LIBERALLY as the leather will soak it up. The more coats, the better. It is best to work in the sun.....as with all recolor projects.
6. Apply new matt (or gloss) finish. This will protect your new color. Remember to allow it to dry OVERNIGHT before attempting to sit on new seats.
7. Reinstall seats/parts.

I hope this answers and questions you may have. As per how its holding up, the best answer I can give is "well beyond my expectations".

David

I think this needs to be a sticky.

·
Registered
934 Posts
davidmbedard said:
Here is what has to be done (I was the first to color my interior around here)
*********Vinyl********
1...remove vinyl pieces.
2...scrub them clean with soap and water...allow to dry
3...apply vinyl paint in THIN, EVEN coats....allow 10-15 mins of drying time between coats (outside in the sun is best).....test for dryness.
4...reinstall part.

********Plastic*******
1......remove plastic part
2......scrub part with soap and water
3......allow to dry
4......use plastic paint and apply in THIN EVEN coats.....allow 10-15 mins to dry between coats.
5......reinstall parts

********Carpet and Seats**********
Do NOT even try coloring the carpet or nylon seats. They will NOT accept anykind of recoloring. If you want a different color, replace the seats with leather (next section) and the carpet (Ebay is your friend)

********LeatherI*********
One word =Tandy Leather. They have everything you need to recolor your leather.
1. Remove seats or leather parts from car.
2. Remove factory matt finish with proper remover from Tandy Leather
4. Apply Leather conditioner. This will open the poars in the leather and prepare it for the new color. Allow to dry.
5. Apply new color. Allow 20 min between coats. Apply Color LIBERALLY as the leather will soak it up. The more coats, the better. It is best to work in the sun.....as with all recolor projects.
6. Apply new matt (or gloss) finish. This will protect your new color. Remember to allow it to dry OVERNIGHT before attempting to sit on new seats.
7. Reinstall seats/parts.

I hope this answers and questions you may have. As per how its holding up, the best answer I can give is "well beyond my expectations".

David

I think this needs to be a sticky.
your right about being the first to do this... I remember you recoloured your carpet with spray. I guess that did not work out too well for you in the long run? IIRC you went from blue to black carpet...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Of all the recoloring, the carpet did NOT take the paint. I have a new one on they way. Also, Its time for me to deepen the color on my seats (they look fine, its just time to hit it with another shot of black)

Cheers.

Ill take pics when Im all done,......again.

David

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Glossy in my opinion, Makes ur car look like new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a fantastic paint available over here by VHT. It is called Vinal Penetrating Colour Dye. It would be available in America also.

I have used the satan black on the steering column pieces, and also on the centre console piece. I will use gloss black fror the doors/dash etc as they have a shine on them from factory.

The results are like factory, because it is a dye it seeps into the product and there are no paint marks at all, you can not tell its been painted. It keeps all the textures of the original item you are painting.

Edit: I found when using this product that you need to apply a thin layer and let it dry for say 30 mins, then after that put another thin layer on if you want.

After this make sure you leave it overnight to set properly, it will be very prone to marking unless you do. I think they say 72 hrs for it to set completely.

I also used the gun metal grey on plastic bumpers on my girlfriends Barina (they were faded as) and they came up like new. It has been on there months and has not chipped/faded/peeled etc. Considering all the road crap that hits it this is pretty impressive.

Here is a link to their product and the range of colours.

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vht_spec.htm (first one I found in google)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts