Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for information on going to a larger Rear end Gear to accomodate my new trans. Anyone that has information on something in the 3.7 range or someone that will make a ring and pinion for a spool let me know.

Note: 6pd rear end

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
DefconAdmin said:
Looking for information on going to a larger Rear end Gear to accomodate my new trans. Anyone that has information on something in the 3.7 range or someone that will make a ring and pinion for a spool let me know.

Note: 6pd rear end

yeah, its called getting an auto rear end... 3.76 is what i believe i have in my auto...

i believe powerhouse racing also makes gears...

jay

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
PHR Ring and Pinion Gear Set for the Getrag Six Speed Supra. A perfect upgrade for modified Supra's needing an extra bit of acceleration from a stop or when exiting a corner on the racetrack. This 3.27:1 ratio gear set is a direct replacement for the factory 3.13:1 gear set. Top speed will be reduced by about 5-10 MPH at most, but the increase in low end acceleration is much worth it! Fits the TT Supra six speed manual transmission only. Price: $550.00

it would appear they only go up to 3.27 for 6spd ring and pinions..so, like i said... auto rear end or even a na rear if you want to get sillly.. i believe those are 4.xx

jay

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
DefconAdmin said:
Well I know the Auto rear end gear is much higher, but will it fit on the 6spd pumpkin.

3.27 isn't high enough for me.
no, you would need the whole pumkin and i believe they are physically sized different as far as length and width..

what kind of tranny do you have?

you could probably sell you pumkin pretty easy and then track down an auto one..

jay

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
i want the 6 speed rear end gears. i have a auto rear end.

stock rear end gears. I called toyota today and gave them my vin number they said i have 13/3 which i assume is 4.33

Which 6 speed do you have? I am assuming the 1993.5 version which is 3.27. 1997-1998 have 3.13.

Can me and him swap just the gears or do we need to swap the whole damn unit. I live in portland, oregon by the way

·
Registered
907 Posts
correect me if im wrong -

all us spec six speed rears were 3.13, jap spec were 3.27.

In order to swap from a six speed to auto rear or visa versa, you would need to get the whole pumpkin, the axles (or just left axle i believe), and the rear half of the driveshaft. If you two were to trade, you would have to trade all of that.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
breakemlose said:
i want the 6 speed rear end gears. i have a auto rear end.

stock rear end gears. I called toyota today and gave them my vin number they said i have 13/3 which i assume is 4.33

Which 6 speed do you have? I am assuming the 1993.5 version which is 3.27. 1997-1998 have 3.13.

Can me and him swap just the gears or do we need to swap the whole damn unit. I live in portland, oregon by the way
All stock US six speed rear end gear ratios are 3.13 and the JDM gear set is a 3.27.

You can't just swap the gears nor the pumpkin. You have to swap the driveshaft and the drivers side axle.

You'll also run into issues recalibrating the speedo as well. When swapping rear ends around.

If you do end up running the auto rear end, I would highly recommend you running a 28" tall tire otherwise you'll run out gearing pretty quick. And on the street your first 3 gears will be useless.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That's crazy i was looking at old car and driver magazines they all said 1993-1995 had 3.27:1 figures. Lying bastards :p

That sucks about swapping all of that junk out. Shipping would be what $500+ alone? It sucks for me i have a th400 transmission i can't handle the 140 mph top speed.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
breakemlose said:
That's crazy i was looking at old car and driver magazines they all said 1993-1995 had 3.27:1 figures. Lying bastards :p

That sucks about swapping all of that junk out. Shipping would be what $500+ alone? It sucks for me i have a th400 transmission i can't handle the 140 mph top speed.
Either change the gearing in the tranny, rev limiter, or put a bigger tire under it then.

Dana has gearing to 165 or so.....

·
Vengeance is mine
907 Posts
You could just run a gs400 rear if you want a 3.27 swap.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You can just change out the pumpkin if you want, I know the driveshafts are different lenghths and one of the axles.

When I bought my car it came with a 6 speed trans and auto rear.

I bought a 6 speed rear and swapped them back & forth several times using the same driveshaft and axles and never had a problem after 3 years.

By the way the car consistently ran faster with the auto rear and was also much easier on clutches.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I can't imagine my car being faster with the auto rear, once I shift into fifth it feels like it dies. I guess I will see, I just couldn't stand shifting so much. Hopefully the 3.27 gearing is a good compromise.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
MDoe8 said:
I can't imagine my car being faster with the auto rear, once I shift into fifth it feels like it dies. I guess I will see, I just couldn't stand shifting so much. Hopefully the 3.27 gearing is a good compromise.

-Mike
Thats because of the final ratio and the fact that when you are now in fifth gear you are at a much higher speed and fighting much more wind resistance.

I doubt you will even notice the difference with a 3.27

·
Registered
907 Posts
i bet i will. Fourth gear pulls very very hard and as soon as i hit fifth it falls quite a bit slower. With me being able to stay in the gear longer, it will pull harder longer.

-Mike

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Im with t78 on this one, that is really not much of a difference at all as far as gearing goes.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
MDoe8 said:
i bet i will. Fourth gear pulls very very hard and as soon as i hit fifth it falls quite a bit slower. With me being able to stay in the gear longer, it will pull harder longer.

-Mike
You can get a larger change in final ratio than that by using different tires.

Your problem is that when you shift into 5th your RPM's drop below your peak TQ because of the low ratio.

Your car also drops below peak tq in all of the other gears but its more noticeable at 5th because wind resistance is climbing exponentially at 100+ mph

A higher ratio will have you at a higher rpm within your peak tq when you shift to 5th.

Mustangs run 4.11's and higher and pickup crazy ET

1 - 18 of 18 Posts