Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im converting my auto tt to manual in the near future with an r154. Instead of making the stock 2 piece driveshaft fit, i'd prefer to have a single piece d/s made up. and get rid of the center bearing/hanger completely.

This is common practice on skylines and silvias around here, has anyone done this on their supra? It improves driveline efficiency if done properly and makes for a smoother ride. As long as it's well made and balanced, it should be tougher than stock.

Anyone done this to their supra? Any problems encountered?

Thanks in advance

Gene

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've converted a couple of my cars over to a one-piece design. Denny's did a metal matrix one piece...works well and was light. http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks for the replys. There are obviously no problems with clearance. That's definitely the way im gonna go :)

·
Drive Fast, Take Chances
18 Posts
To those who have installed a 1 piece drive shaft,

Did you have to shim the rear end or transmission to alter u-joint angle? I have seen cases (6spd/IRS swap in Mustang for example, not MKIV) where single degrees of change would increase or reduce vibration.

In these occurances, the driveshafts were balanced, and even re-tested because it was thought that they may not have been - when vibration was noticed after install.

I'm planning to swap driveshafts on my 6spd, but am apprehensive due to the possible headache.

Thanks.

·
Registered
608 Posts
From what jeff W guy told me you have to get the 1350 yoke set to the right specs or your tranny will go boom!!!

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jimmyP said:
From what jeff W guy told me you have to get the 1350 yoke set to the right specs or your tranny will go boom!!!
Can you please elaborate on this? The yoke at the gearbox end? How do you "set it to the right specs" ?

Thanks

Gene

·
Registered
608 Posts
I was told the rear section of tranny comes off the yoke goes on the set to spec, I found out the hard way a blew my rebuilt tranny in a few passes............

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
jimmyP said:
I was told the rear section of tranny comes off the yoke goes on the set to spec, I found out the hard way a blew my rebuilt tranny in a few passes............
Who's driveshaft/yoke were you running? There is a procedure for shimming the yoke in the service manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts