Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Garrett is deveoping some sort of electric/assist for turbos. What i thought of is pretty much the same thing. Ok say you have a t88 setup on an mkiv. Find an elecric motor that is fast/yet powerful, that does about 20k rpms, then use some sort of gearbox to multiply rpm so when the motor /w gear box is spooling provides, enogh rpm to make 10-15 psi(could probibly be controlled by a transistor), have this gearbox/w motor mounted infront of the turbo. When you click a switch in cock pit The motor will spool the turbo via a shaft with a one-way bearing, so the electric motor spools desired psi on idle. All of the boost made at idle could be let off by a custom bov or waste gate, that is atomaticly closed on throttle. After the engine makes more boost then that of the spooler, the engine now takes over, and the spooler does not provide any resistance. When you let go off of the throttle the spooler keeps the turbo a t 10-15 psi. This will drasticlty improve acceleration, virtually no lag. What are your opinions? Thanks

I hope to develop this system, in about 1 year , will keep you posted.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Why would you do this? Shoot some compressed air at the right angle and you'll spool the wheel. Much less complicated and more cost effective IMO.

Lates,
Josh

Edit: Spooler/motor would cause an airflow restriction. Power trasnfer, whether by shaft, pulley, or gear, or the motor in front of the turbo takes up intake tract space. You'd get less high end.

·
Highway Demon
2,869 Posts
hmm..

i had a friend do something pretty close to this on his mr2 but instead of custom fabricating all that other mumbo jumbo he used a electric turbo that he got off of a old VW turbo.. hooked it up in front of his ct26 turbo and wired it to a switch.... he didn't have much lag but with the flip of the switch his car would instantaneousely jump to max boost pressure and he would then hold it there untill the end of the race.. and most of his racing was done in street drags from a standstill untill the end of the street so he wouldn't have to hold it for too long.. i was pretty suprised that this worked at all but it did.. when asked about his setup he would claim custom twin turbo.. load of bs because the electric one i wouldn't really consider as a real turbo but in any case.. when he tried to share the idea on the mr2 message board.. he was bashed on.. all the other mr2 owners talked so much smack that no other mr2 to my knowledge from there even tried it.. (my friend was pretty cocky with his mr2 so i don't blame them) but the fact of the matter is that it worked.. so if you can get your hands on a small older vw electric turbo you can virtualy eliminate lag with it.. and maybe even help boost faster then your car already does..

Brian

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very very intriguing I would willing to experiment with this theory, but I need more information. Feel free to elaborate.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
?

If i used a shaft say 1/4 inch shaft, then have a air tight hole/wbearing in the intake thats hooked up to turbo, so its not like the motor will rastrict air or block air flow. I have talked with many people about this , i only have one concern, when your idling, and engage the spooler, it could from the exhaust side suck air from the manifold, and mabie could probs? I dont know, first i will expiment on a beater like mk3 turbo, if that works then in about 1 year you will see me running 9's in my mkiv:D Any other suggestions.

Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You really don't want 15psi at idle. A better idea would be a window switch like used in nitrous systems. It would switch on at lets say 1000-1500 rpm and shut off by whatver rpm you want. Then you wouldn't have to have all that elaborate wastegate stuff.

Lates,
Josh

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes

Anyways you wouldn;t go anwhere at 15 psi at 1k rpm, it could be controlled(mabie manual controller inside). So at lauch set it at 5-8 psi then more later. Imagine on slicks /w t88 mabie even low9's:D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to put down the idea since I thought of something similar before (and thought about using a twin charger setup), but it's pretty much imagination. Turbos have been around for way longer than Supras have. You would think some company, especially the turbo manufacturers, would have figured out and sold a solution to overcome lag if it was possible. Think about it. How many racers out there wouldn't kill for the perfect turbo, or something to help it overcome the lag, and still build huge power? Obviously the market is there, but I don't think the right solution is available. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I don't think this is something people haven't thought about before, or tried to make. Besides, what kind of lag really is there that can't be overcome with a downshift?

Good luck with your idea.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slicks are there so you can launch bro... you launch UNDER BOOST negating the need for this device and its elaborate wastegate setup. 5-8psi at idle is useless... you don't needa ANY boost at idle. If you launch at idle, you go very slow..... If you used it to spool the tubos at aroudn 3k, maybe it would be ok. BUT would you really want that much boost? i mean its a ton of power at launch... very hard to control

·
Registered
229 Posts
Josh///M3 said:
Slicks are there so you can launch bro... you launch UNDER BOOST negating the need for this device and its elaborate wastegate setup. 5-8psi at idle is useless... you don't needa ANY boost at idle. If you launch at idle, you go very slow..... If you used it to spool the tubos at aroudn 3k, maybe it would be ok. BUT would you really want that much boost? i mean its a ton of power at launch... very hard to control
Tires have no effect on whether you have boost at launch or not. Autos and 2-Steps allow you to launch with boost. The only other way to build boost is to slip the clutch with the e-brake up but that will kill your clutch unless its carbon-carbon. Dennis Walsh knows something about a system that uses hydraulics he can explain it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts